Monday, February 28, 2022

I Will Monday - Self Employment

Good Monday Morning!


If you've followed for long, you know that I do estate sales for a living - well, that and other "things" that come with that.   I actually have been doing this my whole life.  I'm a 3rd generation picker, it's in my blood.  I officially went "Town Hall Trinkets, LLC" in 1994 when we first bought our farm.  During that time, I've worked on 100's of estates.  Over the years, what I do and how I do it, has changed and evolved several times over.  

I recently was asked and this happens several times a year to me, something like this:  "Could you answer a few questions about your business for me" and then a list of questions.  Some of them are reasonable and well, others more intrusive (how much do you make a year).  However, in all those years, 100's of estates - I don't have a standard answer for any questions.  No 2 estates are the same.  No 2 families have the same requests.  Nor do they have the same type of items.  I tend to customize my services, based on what my potential client is in need of after I meet them.  

This over the years, including last year, "need of" looked like Al helping haul many unwanted items for donation, landfill and here for burning.   Yes, we've even provided those types of services.  It also could look like, my dusting, sweeping, scrubbing myself out the door after a buyout.  Whatever it is I do, doesn't look anything like what others do.  They all are rockstars at their expertiese and I often refer when I think their services would be better.  

So, why this post on this I Will Monday - Self Employment?  

Well, truthfully there are less years of my "working" ahead of me than behind.  My body has been put through so much doing this that literally, I'm limited in mobility.  If you're going to be self employed and end up with loss of mobility, you better have loved what it was your doing or did.  I see farmers walking around hunched over from years of strain on their bodies - I think, yep, they enjoyed their "self employment" as much as I did.  That is truth right there!  I'd rather shovel out a stall of S..t than sit at a desk and listen to it!  Been there, done that!  

So, for me, this I Will Monday - I will appreciate what it is the Lord has given me talents to do for as long as I can do them.

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  


 

9 comments:

  1. And you are excellent at what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ain't it the truth?? I think we are at that age where we are forced to come to terms with the fact that there are more years behind us than now lay ahead. It truly makes one look at things differently. And I am glad you have loved what you did...I am not sure I did. ~Robin~ (Still love this photo of you!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been thinking it alot more lately, that's for sure - years behind, years ahead. Thanks. I usually don't like my picture, but I like this one...ahahaha

      Delete
  3. People have no idea how much work it is to be self-employed. I applaud you for all your hard work.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thanks! I often say, I can make me or break me...

      Delete
  4. Folks ask me all of the time how I can work a 5 day week and then work another 2 days at my store. I always say its a different kind of work at my store...most importantly one that I love doing. That's why. Great post Jacky! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh the things you must have found over the years! While not a picker perhaps, I LOVE anything old. The handwriting on our barn walls, old wood salvaged from a barn repair and the corrugated metal roofing that was removed...I always think I'll find a use for them "someday" couldn't imagine tossing them. And you're absolutely right...gratefulness for the blessings we enjoy. Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All those things you just said, is exactly why I love what I do. Sometimes when family leave behind a treasure like old photos, it just kills me... Thanks.

      Delete