Tuesday, February 15, 2022

If for Girls

 


I found this little picture at a thirft shop for $2.  I didn't read it all while I was shopping, but I read enough to find it very interesting.  Truthfully, I've read it a half dozen times and find more meaning in it every time I read it.  It was written by J.P. McEvoy and it was "suggested by Kipling's If."  

A quick google search of his name and I found out he was best known for a comic called Dixie Dugan.  He wrote for many magazines of that day as well.  That search left me looking for a book he also wrote and illustrated by Johhny Gruelle (Raggedy Ann artist) called Dorothy Mary.  Something new to look for.

I think the gems inside this poem, are not "old fashioned," rather a moral guide to how we all can be better women.  


Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

4 comments:

  1. Loved reading this and the history behind it.Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Kipling would approve wholeheartedly with this wonderful offshoot of his poem. Love it...and you're right - it's more like a timeless moral compass. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great find, a bargain price too.

    ReplyDelete