Friday, April 8, 2022

Farmhouse Friday Week 14 "Tall Tales"

 Good Friday Morning!

I come from a long line of story tellers on both sides.  Scotch/Irish and Native/Potawatomi.  

My mom could spin a yarn like no other.  Colorful, made up little snip its on just about anything she set her mind to.  Mom collected (let's not lie, she collected alot of things...ahahah) old dolls.  In the extra bedroom, she had a shelf with many of the cute ones lined up.  Justine told me that she remembers when my mom would babysit her, while I worked.  Grandma would tell her stories for each one of those dolls.  One Christmas, just before she passed, she told the girls to pick something out from her house.  Justine picked a little doll and then shared that she remembered those days listening to stories.  That was gift for my mom as well.  

Now that I am a grandma and helping watch my little love, I try my best to make each of those days special.  I know that they are limited and go by so fast!  This week, I was thinking about tall tales.  So, I brought a Paul Bunyan book that we read and then came up with our own lumberjack "partners" like Baby, the big blue ox.  I'll admit, she wasn't as excited about lumberjacks as she is about horses...ahahah...but, she got into the story telling.

We made up our tall tales - I was Bird and Brenda the bear.  She was Lauren and Rainbow Gems the Alacorn.  For those not in the "know" an alacorn is a unicorn with wings (wink, wink).  We posted our posters in the "town square" to prove to the lumber camp we could do what we said and they would let us work.  We went for a walk in the woods, knocked down a million trees, made paper, made boards and then turned a huge mud puddle into our "pea soup lake" (in the book).  We actually came in and she helped make our lunch, a lumberjack size pancake each, which she ate the whole thing!  Lumberjacks work up an appetite.  She really gets into the stories (just like Justine did).




Next week it's on to Easter.  From tall tales to Jesus - if that doesn't sum up my mom's family tree to the roots (KY hillbillies) - for real!  

I worked alot this week too...not just fun and games....


Here is the building and address for the sale tomorrow.  

Blessings from Ringle, Wiscosnin.  

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had quite the time. So fun to make memories with the grands. I use to take mine to the island for lunch every Summer until covid hit and the restaurant closed. Love reading about you mom's tall tales! Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I want to enjoy whatever time I have with her and any other's that come along. Praying for more. That sounds like a fun thing to do. Maybe this summer.

      Delete
  2. I'm sure your granddaughter will have great memories of you and the adventures you shared. It's those times that matter and not the things bought or given. It's the imaginative adventures that stick in your mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree 100% you can't buy or purchase that! She has such an active imagination! I think we see children's theatre in her future....teehee

      Delete
  3. I don't know what child WOULDN'T get into the stories when they are imbued with the fun you put into them. And, to my mind, there are few greater gifts than cultivating imagination in a child. (Very clever story lines by the way...love the special talents of the characters LOL) Good luck with the sale tomorrow. So wish I could go!! ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin. It's easy to play with her because she has such an imagination. She comes up with some pretty good ideas. The sale was super.

      Delete