Tuesday, May 19, 2020

"Fostering" Grandma

I know, it should be "Tips on Tuesday" but, you may get some tips from this post as well.   

Fostering children is such a special "calling."  It's not for everyone.  My daughter and son-in-law, have invited this process into their life as their first choice for adding to their family.  So, as grandparents, that means, it is our choice as well.  I grew up in a family where we welcomed foster children, we had several in our home over the years.  My sister, once married and a young mother, opened their home to foster children.  We even added to our family, as they adopted my niece, Angie.  It can be a challenging but rewarding process.  

There is the sweetest little angel in my life right now.  I don't know how long she will be with us, as fostering's hope is to reunite families.  I couldn't imagine having someone as precious as her and not being able to be with her and I am praying for her biologicial family.

She is a little sponge, her age is that way, but she is espcially witty and quick to pick up .... trust me, just about anything you do.  The other day, we were playing and when we got up, she was walking all hunched over...and I thought...that is how I walk after I get up off the floor.  I also bring a walking stick when we go for little walks, she also wants "my 'tick' too" - I have a little wooden cane for her.  I could go on and on about all the fun and funny little things....but, I'm keeping them just for me.  

We don't know God's plan; for our life, much less hers, I'm using every opportunity I have to "build her up."  If she should leave me, this "GaBird" wants to know she left with a heart and ear full of kindness, love, positivity that will not only build a relationship with me, but more importantly Jesus.  I will admit, it is easier to do this with her than sometimes I think I did for my own daughters.  Not that she isn't "mine" because she is and will always hold a spot in my heart, but rather, that I am older, wiser now...or at least try.  

I am so blessed that they come over for Sunday Suppers.  I try to make things that are healthy, but she loves "treats" so much and I love to "treat with treats."  I wanted to try a new recipe from an old cookbook.  It was a cake with only 4 ingredients - how could that work?  Well, it does.  I decided to decorate it and while I was doing that, Al came in and said "that looks like a pricess cake."  He comes up with the best lines!  Princess Cake it was!





When she came in the kitchen, I said "GaBird" made you a "Princess Cake" - I will NEVER forget the look on her little face!  "A Princess Cake for me?!?".....heart is full...."Yes, 'GaBird' made it just for you!"  That's all of this precious little story I will tell you, other than, when we ate it, we wore some of my old costume jewelry as our "pricess beads."    

My tip here would be, to make those around you feel precious, special and loved.  In doing so, you will too!

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

3 comments:

  1. That is so lovely, hat an inspiration you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing story! You are so blessed beyond words. I am glad I found your blog. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww...what a precious moment...I bet you are the very best GaBird out there. That cake looks AHHHmazing! And bet your little princess is spoiled beyond words LOL. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete