Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Farm Livin' Is the Life For Me


Look at that bucket of black gold.   Thank you horses!



Adding that good compost to the raised beds and garden.  Getting ready to plant soon.  It's still too early here.

People always ask, "why are the yolks so yellow?"  Well, for one, they are fresh and for another, my chickens are free ranged.  In addition to their feed, they scratch around for bugs and such all over the farm yard and the yolks reflect their good diet.  Those 2 hens were eating worms out of my hand.  



I have many different breeds of chickens and they lay the most eclectic eggs, such a variety of size and colors.  They have been really "happy" over the past week, giving me so many eggs that I was able to share with others.  I have enjoyed all that this farm life has given me.  I couldn't imagine living any other way.

In light of all the Covid 19, safer at home orders, lack of ability to conduct my business ... all of it .... I find joy in this!  I am now looking forward to spending the time needed in my garden, here at the farm, cleaning out and fixing our outbuildings....no excuses now.  

I laughed as I said this to Lisa, "did it take a pandemic for us to slow down?"  It seems we are so busy doing setting up at events, conducting estate sales and such for others that our "stuff" never gets done.   Not too many years ago, we could do both, not now....or, I won't speak for Lisa, but ..... it just is getting harder for me to get it "all" done like I use to.   So, I look forward to time spent at the farm this summer and doing a few of my own barn sales too!  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin  

4 comments:

  1. Oooo...those eggs look wonderful! I always love the Americauna eggs! But usually end up not eating them because they are too pretty LOL. Yes, this getting old stuff ain't for sissies, is it? I look back at when I worked (more-than-) fulltime at a stressful career, was basically a single mother (my husband had a business in door county at the time) and tried to be wonder woman at the same time. Hard some days to believe that I did all that and didn't end up in the looney bin LOL. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing what's going on in your garden! I wish we lived somewhere with more space. If anything this being stuck home is making me rethink where I'd like to spend my time

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny story. Growing up on my grandparents farms...we always had hens that laid brown eggs. The first time I saw a white egg, I thought there was something wrong with it. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this pandemic has made me realise how blessed we truly are. We have a home with no mortgage and ample food who could ask for more?

    ReplyDelete