Friday, April 17, 2020

Farm House Friday - Comforts of Home

Where has this week gone?  To me, this was the fastest week yet in this "safer at home" order.  I didn't get as much done as I would have liked.  For me, this lack of - joy - started Saturday....I know, it was Easter weekend and all....but, we had 2 letters in the mail - one good news and the other not.  So, my winds were knocked out of my sails... 

How does Dicky Bird feel better?  She bakes!  Both Al and Justine said these were the best sugar cookies I ever made.  It was the classic Betty Crocker one with powdered sugar.  Super delicate and buttery.  I wanted to make spring looking ones for my little grand....


It was SAD not having Anna and Jon up, they were planning to come for Easter weekend.  I made a turkey for lunch and we had turkey for days.  I did make bone broth from the carcass.  I've been having a bowl every day for lunch.



I came up with this simple, low fat, what I'm calling "blender pancake."  Put 1/2 C oatmeal, 1 banana, 1 egg (or just whites) a sprinkle of cinnamon.  Wizz it up and pour into a pan.  Actually good!  

Can you see the trend here?  Comforts of Home for me is food and my antiques.  This picture doesn't catch the sun the way it was, but I love this little picture I bought in Ireland.  It's nestled in a shelf with the little old sheep in front.  It made me happy to look at it.  


This week, for me, was the most diappointing thus far.  After our governor, Tony Evers, declared our state to maintain a "safer from home" order until May 26th...it was too much!  Al and I decided, we were going to support Culvers and our favorite soft serve icecream place.  I posted this picture with the caption:  Well played Corona....better played Briq's Soft Serve.  What a response I got!  It was the crunch coat.....


So, today on this Farm House Friday, I'm going to keep moving forward.  I have seeds to start, bread rising, chickens laying (22 yesterday), snow melting, warmer days in forcast and maybe, just maybe a bit of crafting....which, is also a comfort.  

Take care of yourself and the ones you love.  Enjoy them for who they are and share what you have.  I've been thinking on this scripture:  "The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord, and He delighteth in his way."  Psalms 37:23  

Making better steps from here on out.....

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

7 comments:

  1. Glad you are keeping busy! But we are going to have to discuss how you got my “SECRET “ Christmas/ sugar cookie recipe! It’s the best ,easiest cut out recipe ,it even got a 4 h ribbon for one of my boys! ( ok, I confess I cut it out of Wausau Daily Herald in 1976!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cookies look delicious. I love that picture. It's really pretty.

    Ours is extended to April 30th. I'm hoping things at least ease up by then but I doubt it. I hate not knowing. If there was an actual end date I could handle it better knowing that there was an end in sight! I am staying away from the news, or reading about opinions and such. I am trying to stay focused on the good, but like you I miss my family. It isn't the same not seeing them. My poor mum is finding it really difficult at this point. I could hear it in her voice.

    I have been burying myself in books - escaping the real world lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My week has been fast also. Staying busy with home chores, bee keeping, reading, and family time. Trying to make the most of it. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have been stay at home orders for weeks now...and continue to May. It is so hard not visiting our favorite restaurants. Cookies are adorable and I bet they were yummy! Cute sheep and picture too! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Friday Greetings Jacky Girl.... Yes, this week did go by rather quickly, didn't it? Easter was a bit melancholy with no church services (I mean in-person ones), no family, and no spring weather. I made a large, traditional dinner hoping it would make things feel a bit more "normal"...but it didn't help. All it did I fear was add pounds I don't need.... My son didn't come and my husband isn't much for leftovers, but I feel horrible letting things go to waste. That ice cream treat looks wicked good... Briq's is one of my secret indulgences as I have to go past it going home from town. But I am still eating pistacchio torte.... and chocolate chip cookies....and scones. Ok...so maybe this whole baking thing has gotten a bit out of hand LOL. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  6. The days are flying by and in fact merging into one another. I too am filling my days but miss contact with family. Proper up close and personal contact... My goodness that icecream looks delicious yummy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything looks amazing!!! I haven't been baking a whole lot because I've been eating.. everything.
    I missed our crew here on Easter too. Looking forward to better and brighter days ahead.
    Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete