Friday, April 10, 2020

Farm House Friday - Dicky Bird's Fruit & Nut Bread

I come from a long line of bread masters.  My brother was actually a professional baker.  I've always let that intimidate my lack of being able to make bread.  "Bread making is a science" have you heard this?  Well, I am not mathmatical or scientific.  I'm artistic and creative.  So, after decades of feeling intimidated by the science of successfully working with yeast, I decided to just do my own thing.  I wanted you to know this as a disclaimer, because this bread recipe might have been successful, however over the years, my chickens have enjoyed many that were not.   

Dicky Bird's Fruit & Nut Bread


1 C warm water (105-110) too hot or cold the yeast won't work
1 tsp. honey or sugar - this helps to activate the yeast
2 tsp. yeast (1 packet)


Leave sit until it becomes foamy/frothy


While this is activating, put this in your mixer with dough hook, you probably could do by hand too.

2 C all purpose flour
2 C whole wheat flour
1/4 C honey
1 T cinnamon


pour in the foamy yeast, mix a bit and then add

1 stick of melted butter
1 C warm milk
I melted and warmed together in microwave


Pour into the ingredients while mixer is running



Add the fruit and nuts

1 C dried fruit (raisin, craisin, cherries, dates) 
1 C chopped nuts 
(I used 1/2 C craisin, 1/2 C cherries and 1 C sliced almonds)

Mix a bit and then add all purpose flour 1/2 C at a time (I used 1 1/2 C - so total for the bread was 3 1/2 C all purpose and 2 C whole wheat) add until the dough pulls away from the side of bowl and attaches to the hook.




Dump onto a floured counter and knead a bit so all the fruit and nuts are well mixed.  Put dough in sprayed bowl.  I put this in my oven set a proof with a wet towel covering it.  Let rise until doubled.  


Once risen, take dough and divide in half.  Roll out into a rectangle, spread with melted butter and a combination of spices.  

1/2 stick melted butter
1/2 C brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg



Roll up and put in prepared loaf pan, let rise again until doubled.



Bake at 375 for about 25 minutes



Enjoy
Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin

4 comments:

  1. This looks so wonderful and something I can do. I cook a lot, but making bread is something I am not skilled at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man girl!! That looks AHHHMAZING!! Do you do delivery??? I'd even consider curb-side pick up LOL. I'm a bread freak (as I sit here eating a hunk of artisan french bread with my Colorado Campfire Chicken Stew LOL).... Growing up, we baked several loaves of bread each and every week...but it was usually plain white (my favorite). Funny that I don't bake it now...I guess because I am the only one addicted to good "real" bread and would end up having to eat everything I baked LOL. And, yes...there is a science to baking with yeast, but also an art. I was always intimidated as well (my sister is an incredible baker), but I've thrown caution to the wind in my older age. Have a blessed Easter my friend ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang sister those look amazing! Sure wish I me some yeast in the house as I would try this right away. Thanks for sharing and making me drool. :-) Hope you have a wonderful Easter! Janice

    ReplyDelete