Saturday, April 4, 2020

Dicky Bird's Spicy Guilt Free Pumpkin Pie




Dicky Bird's Spicy Guilt Free Pumpkin Pie

I did a bit of research on crustless pies and custards.  I want something sweet, but not the calories.  So, I came up with this.  I used our own garden pumpkin.  I bake them, scoop them out, puree and put in freezer bags - just pumpkin, nothing added.



I also used 1% milk instead of evaporated milk.  This is what I did.  I took 2 cups of milk (it was a bit expired...I was going to make sour milk pancakes) and I brought it to a boil and let it scald and evaporate a bit.  It actually had a sweet smell, like evaporated milk, but not as thick.  This was 1/3 the calories.  It wasn't hard to do, but it took about 30 minutes.


Milk in the kettle

Bring to a full rolling boil and turn down to a simmer for about 30 minutes or until it has reduced a bit.  


Set it to the side and let it cool a bit.

Mix all of this in a bowl.  I just used a wire whisk

1 C pumkin 
1 T molasses
2 T cornstarch
1 T cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1/4 C sugar (could add up to 1/2 C I didn't miss it tho)



Stir all together; add 
1 1/2 C scalded milk
Mix until smooth

Place custard cups in a pan, pour mixture into cups and pour hot water up to 1/2 the sides of the cups.  Bake for 35-40 minutes at 350.  You know it's done, when you poke a knife in center and it comes out clean.  




I couldn't wait till it was cool...smelled so good!!



I think each of these, well depends on size of your custard cup, has around 75 calories.  I put one of these in my oatmeal this morning it was so good!!!

I hope you enjoy!

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

2 comments:

  1. Oh I wish I had some custard cups. Looks so yummy. Wonder if this could just be placed in a pie pan. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooo...that does sound good Jacky!! I am not a huge pie fan, but I do like pumpkin pie.... You are so darn creative! Sunday Smiles ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete