Monday, April 13, 2020

Motivational Monday - Now -v- Most -v- Choosing

Truth time - I can't think of anything!  I am having a hard time on week...who even remembers...of this "safer at home."  Is it 5 weeks now? 

I even looked back at old Motivational Mondays for inspiration - none.  However, I was reminded as to the "why" I started writing these.  It was a difficult time for me, when I had to accept another's decision that hurt and changed me and my business.  Reading that post, I guess did inspire this one, because it made me think about how strong I had to be during that time.  

I love this quote from one of my favorite heroes - Abraham Lincoln.  

"Discipline is choosing between what you want now and what you want most."  




I needed it then, during that time, just as much as I need it today during "this" time.

We all want to get out and go - NOW, but we need to be disciplined to stay home so that MOST of us can get back to work.   Not every American in every area will be allowed to do this at the same time, that's a given.  I don't know if you understand how hard this is for me to say.  I'm very much in tune with my "rights" as an American and I DO feel that they have been infringed upon over these past weeks.  I usually don't get political, but I don't like to be told what, how or where to do - what it is I want to do!  There, I said it!  

O.k...now, let's look at that quote again.  Discipline is CHOOSING between what you want now and what you want most.  I'm choosing to follow the "rules" even though I don't like them.  

O.k....let's wrap it around full circle...at "this" time, I need to accept another's decison again, that has hurt and changed me and my business.  I may not bounce back from this for the rest of the year.  It is going to be hard to recoup some of the choices that were made for me and my business - financially.

So, how is this even motivating...it's sounds gloomy....well, gloomy can be motivating.  It's making me think...hey, I'm creative, I think outside the box, I have reinvented my business multiple times over the years and I have remained strong.  And...friend...you can too.  Take this time, reevaluate your goals and think about the discipline it will take now to get what you want most!  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  




6 comments:

  1. Good post! (As always). I certainly understand the point behind all this but I don't like being told I can't do something either lol. I am trying to be positive but, as I told my husband, it's the not knowing that's the worst - not knowing when it will end, not knowing what 'opening up' will look like, not knowing when I can see daughter again, not knowing when and if I'll see Mum again (she's getting a lot older sniff sniff), not knowing if any of the plans we have this year will happen. Agg! Thinking about it just makes me want to go bury my head in the sand!

    This week has to be better than last lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly understand all of this and how this is protecting us and for that I am thankful. I am struggling because I don't see an end date, everything is so uncertain but I am learning to be more patient. I am hoping that I will get better as the tie goes by. Take care and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like it much myself...I hate missing out on events I planned on being part of...But on the plus side I can ride it out and I can keep on working on things so I'll be ready to go...People want to buy...I sold a piece and dropped it off in the buyers driveway...We were able to wavy to each other...We will meet in person when I drop of her next piece...YA..It's hard and I'm in that age group over 65 with a heart condition...I'm happing to wake up every morning...LOL This will pass....See you soon...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love President Lincoln's quote. I feel the same way that they are taking away our rights....but I also want to stay safe along with others. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great quote...and great fodder for pondering. Ah, I think so very many of us are struggling with this. Contrary to most people's opinion of me, I am actually very much of a "rule follower" for the most part (some day I might actually admit in writing to incidents when that didn't hold true LOL), BUT, the key to my obedience lies in understanding the rational behind the rule and, ultimately, the fairness of that rule...because, as you so aptly point out, all rules infringe on someone's "rights." And that's where my tolerance of our current situation goes to heck in a hand basket because I am not seeing the equity in allowing folks to mill around grocery stores and big box stores fighting over toilet paper and hand sanitizer, but small businesses have to close up. Hello?? Which poses a higher risk?? I understand we need groceries and necessaries, but then acknowledge that the exposure is there and making the small businesses close isn't probably doing a heck of a lot of good. Ok....soap box is getting a bit wobbly....so I am stepping down. ;-) Stay well my friend....and folks like you and those similarly situated are in my prayers and thoughts. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  6. a great post and what an awesome quote!! the finical end of this quarantine is so difficult for so many people BUT what we are doing will work and keep many of us alive. it is a quandary for sure, this will work, it is the right thing to do and the country will be better for it!!

    ReplyDelete