Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Tips on Tuesday - Emptying Your Nest

Our daughters each have their "forever" homes now and we could not be more proud and happy for them.  So, we thought now is the time for them to take their tubs of memories and toys to their houses.  These tubs took up most of our basement storage area.  I didn't even want to tackle it, however we did.   



I can say that each of these tubs were packed by them.  As they outgrew or redecorated their rooms they decided what to keep.  So these tubs were things that they really wanted - at that time - and put in storage downstairs.  I didn't make any decision for them as to what to keep.  However, in their donate or toss pile, I may have picked items I wanted for my memories (smile).   

My tips for emptying your nest.

1.  First, if you are a mama with a nest still full of littles, I would suggest letting them make their own decisions.  You could still do some encouraging with getting rid of or pull items you want.  It teaches children how to let go.  You don't want to be the, "my mom made me get rid of everthing when I was little" or "I sure wish I still had that toy."  Honestly, it seems like yesterday when these tubs were filled, it all goes by so fast.    

2.  When you do put the items in tubs, make sure to mark them with what it is and who it belonged to.  Each had their own tubs "Barbies, Polly Pockets" kind of thing.  This made sorting the tubs so much easier.   

3.  Let it go.  I told them "I was the curator of these items for you, your memories, now it's up to you to do what you want with it."  We did part of this the last time Anna was up.  We came across a box of letters from when she was 11 and had cancer.  She took it all with her and later message me "I forgot how much people loved and supported me.   Thank you for saving these and by the way, I found some money."  I felt a weight lift from my shoulders, I really did, I was able to let go of "that," give it to her and she took on it's responsiblity.  It was what pushed my getting more done.   Making myself not only go through stuff, but the emotions behind it. 

4.  Do this in stages.  Every time they come for a visit, ask them to take something with them.  You don't need to do it all at once like a band-aid.  It's a change for all of you, take time to adjust.  Our girls have been out of this house for  6 years.  Now that they are in their forever homes, it was time to clean the basement of the tubs.

5.  Save something for your "grandma's toy box."  I may have heard "hey, that was mine" but, I'm not keeping it from you, I'm sharing it with you.  You can have it back someday.  I have to have some special toys here too, ones that I can say, "when mama was little, Gram Bird played this with her too." 

I know with our "stay at home" orders, many of you are cleaning.  I hope this gives you some tips and things to think about.

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  




2 comments:

  1. Such thoughtful curating on your part Gram Bird! I really like the idea of having the child choose what to save... Things were so chaotic when my son was little because of my career, that there wasn't a whole lot of "method" to my curating "madness" LOL. It was easier because I only had the one child, and I did save things that I thought had special meaning...or that he particularly liked...but since he moved out 3 years ago, I haven't even managed to get him to take his clothes LOL. I used to take things of his to his house when he was out of town for work and I was kitty sitting, but he got wise to that and stopped asking me to kitty sit LOL. Clean and organize on!! Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have things of my kids in the attic....which seems to be my things it seems. LOL Will need to start giving them things when they come over. Great idea! Then they can decide what to do with it. Janice

    ReplyDelete