Tuesday, February 7, 2023

In the Lull of Winter

 Well here we are in the lull of winter.   That is how it is for us in northern areas anyway.  The time between when the groundhog spoils our anticipation for spring and the emerging bulbs from the ground.  


Every year, I tell myself, this is a time for cleaning, organizing, doing the things inside so that when we can, we can be outside.  I even wrote in my calendar last year things like this:  "remember to clean the pantry, you enjoyed using up what was in there" and "take the time to dust off your cabinets, that made you very happy."  Oh, I did things like this too:  "don't waste too much time watching netflix - you felt sad about that" or "count backwards the correct amount of days to start your seeds your's were to laggy last time."  I have enjoyed my little references to self.

So, how can we overcome the lull of winter?   Here are a few ideas:  

1.  Embrace the weather.  Just today, I stood on the porch, just as the sun was coming up and did several minutes of breathing and stretches.  Wow, that cold air in my lungs, the trees moving in the wind, the sounds of my roosters crowing...I soaked it all in.  Winter is magical.

2.  Read.  I was never great at reading, but I enjoy my daily devotional reading.  I like to read things with purpose, how to or self help type books.  I do enjoy magazine articles and still pick up a Mary Jane's Farm now and again.  I have challenged myself to read something for fun even if it is a "kid's book."  My attention span can't do more than that some days.  

3.  Send a card or letter.  I know messaging and emails have all but eliminated this.  It made me happy to spread some cheer to someone by doing this.  I will continue .... 

4.  Go for a car ride.  If the weather is nice, hop in the car and just go explore a different area.  We went to Iron Mountain, MI Saturday and it was a fun little day trip.  My grandpa and grandma would say "let's go for a little ride" now I know why.

5.  Do something you enjoy.  Pick up your knitting needles, embroidery hoop or felting needle.  Make time for creativity.  Grab the fry pan, sauce kettle, baking sheet and try a new recipe.

These are just a few little things I have been doing to get me through the lull of winter.  What kinds of things can you think of to do?  Please share, so we call can benefit from it.  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

5 comments:

  1. Bob and I went out to lunch today. It was a rare day out for us together. The sun was shining and later with crochet a bit. I have been cleaning a little nit every day now. Great ideas too! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree enjoy the time now as it will get busy with spring and summer things
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny I just mentioned to someone (somewhere) a few days ago about how I need to remember how I should be not squandering these winter days NOT stitching/hooking, organizing, etc. as it seems I always wish I could do them when the weather is nice and I need to be (for many reasons) outside. It's a twisted irony that my funks usually set in and take hold most fully during the winter days. ~Robin~ (TheCrankyCrow) (Please don't tell me you have bulbs coming up somewhere...or I AM moving.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of those little notes to yourself! What a great idea!

    I really enjoy soaking up the sunshine when we have it. I'm out in all weathers, taking a walk. Some mornings when it's sunny, no matter how cold, I stand there and enjoy the peace. I really try to look for beauty in winter, but when those days are long and gloomy it gets a little tough sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In our cooler weather months, relatively speaking, here in Texas, I make myself focus on things to do inside. I’ve recently cleaned out and organized my dish cabinets and the under sink cabinet. I also like to work on puzzles. I love to be outside, but with all the rain we have had over the last several weeks, outside chores are kept to a minimum due to endless mud. Love reading your blog and hearing about life “up north”! 😃 RHill, TX

    ReplyDelete