Friday, January 13, 2023

Farmhouse Friday - January 13

 It's Farmhouse Friday and it falls on the 13th.  Are you superstitious?  I'm not really, but I am cautious.  I'm super cautious lately, walking on the ice.  My sister fell and cracked her humerus in 3 places and her best friend fell and broke her wrist.  I have fallen a few times, but not nothing broke.  

My calendar unexpectedly opened up this week.  I have been wanting to clean out some of the food in the freezer, so, I did some cooking and freezing of extra meals.  Needless to say, I spent a lot of time in my tiny kitchen and I loved it.  

I roasted a small turkey and that pretty much featured the meals I made this week.  



The extra butternut squash, was made into the most tasty soup I've ever made!  It was so good!  I used the bone broth from cooking down the turkey carcass and heavy cream.  I could have licked the kettle clean....ahaha.  I did make enough to freeze and have another day soon.  




Turkey sandwiches ..... 

Turkey pot pie with puff pastry...




....and one for the freezer.

A bag of frozen, cut up apples from our trees, no sugar only cinnamon ..... to chunky applesauce


A couple tablespoons of that stirred in oatmeal, 1/2 cup warmed in microwave topped with a bit of whip cream (who needs the crumble) or just spread on some toast...so good.

We bought a whole hog from one of our 4H's, this is smoked ham hock and bean soup.  O.k. that's probably enough food pictures....wink, wink.

We have a new Aldi's near us.  I have never really shopped there, but I have been now.  The produce is amazing.  After my chiro appointment I went shopping and I ran into my friend's husband, he also said "this is the best place ever!"  They also just discovered it.  It's actually the closest grocery store for us.  Anyway, I spent several hours, washing, cutting up and preparing fruits and veggies, salads, pasta salad, tuna noodle salad for Al's lunch....it was hours!  I said to Al, "why does it feel like it takes forever to something right and good, but I can scroll Youtube and the time just fly by....ahahaha."  

I was happy to meet a couple at the Antigo estate for pick up of a huge icebox cabinet, yay, it sold!  While there, I did post several photos of items that are still available.  I worked at my office on Tuesday and posted the $10 Tuesday lots.  I was only able to work 2 hours at the Kronenwetter house, but Al is helping me over there tomorrow as I will be doing that lot drop at 7 pm.  

Lunch dates with my friend Dawn Thursday and my friend Renee today.  Good thing I ate all those fruits and veggies during the week.  

On the funny note, you know that post I did yesterday with the dolls in the chair.  I only posted that photo on my business facebook page, not the whole blog post.  I had someone say "I know where that shop is, it's in Stillwater, MN."  She even shared her photo of that same group of dolls.  I have had the greatest response to that single picture, silly as it is, than so many other posts I put more effort in.  I guess, more fun less business....in my posts.  

Well, I hope you all have a great weekend!  Enjoy whatever it is you will be doing.  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  


10 comments:

  1. i cleaned out my freezer too, i mostly organized it. we have the bottom freezer and things fall over and then some stacking happens. i took everything out, wiped it clean and put everything back the way i like it. if it is stacked, you can't see what you have!! i like how you freeze your soup, i do mine the same way!!

    do you know that your blue and white corning ware is vintage, worth money. i gave mine away before i found out!! hehehehe

    i enjoy cooking too, you might enjoy my post from today!! you can never have too many food pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the nice comment. I'll head over there and read it. Corning is going to be the new Pyrex I think...but, Pyrex is still more popular. I think I got that for my wedding. I like the size of it. Have a good weekend.

      Delete
  2. Am going to e making a turkey next week. I have a friend who would call in to work sick any time there was a Friday the 13th, she s that superstitious and wont leave the house on this day. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to pick up an extra turkey when they are so cheap around the holidays. I could eat turkey anytime, I love it. Oh my, now that is super superstitious!

      Delete
  3. All your home cooked goodies look and sound absolutely wonderful...but you had me at turkey. Seeing as I haven't had a Thanksgiving in a long time and that is the only time I get turkey, I haven't had it in a long, long, time. I went to the Aldi's in Rib Mt twice...and was not impressed either time. I'm assuming yours is better LOL. ~Robin~ (TheCrankyCrow)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you come to this side of Marathon County from "Nod" - yes, you'll be impressed with the Aldi's! So open, bright, clean! I hope it stays that way! Also, if you do, come over for a visit.

      Delete
  4. Where to start with this wonderful post. I love that you cook all that ahead and now have a freezer full of wonderful meals ready to pull out!!! Aldi! I have to drive almost an hour to get to one, so I don't get there often yes, their fruits and veggies are beautiful and check out their cheese section. some really nice high-end cheeses for really great prices. I have not tried their freezer section because we live so far away but their fresh pizza a pretty good (in the vegetable section). Have lunch with friends is just the best I always feel so great after a few hours with friends. and it sounds like work is busy as always.
    Thanks for a great post
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, we tried the pizza - it's really good! Yes, the cheese too...only in WI here, I'm a cheese snob and prefer mine from WI....ahahha

      Delete
  5. Wow - good for you! The freezer is next week for me. I'm dreading it lol.

    Take care on that ice! My Yaktrax have saved me more than once! The last time I did some real damage on the ice was when I was getting in my car. There was sheet ice right next to my door and I went wham! right on my behind. Messed up my tail bone for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, there are a pair of those at this most recent estate. I'm going to buy them and try that. I have a hard time just getting from house to barn. We don't like to put out salt because of the dogs. We put down sand about 2 weeks ago, but we had more ice since then. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete