Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Cupboard Vignettes

As a picker and antique dealer, I have an opportunity to see items in their natural habitat. LOL.  When we were allowed to view the items at this old farm, I couldn't help but fall in love with the Norwegian immigrant cupboard.   It was so dirty, I had to spit on it to see what color it was.  Anyway, I knew if at all possible, I was going to buy it....and keep it....

I did have my Putz houses and Tavern candle collection in here for holidays.  Now that I packed that all away, I find myself gathering items that seem to have the same Norwegian theme.  None of these were purchased together, rather over many years.  As I think on it now, I've always been drawn to rosemaling and Norwegian items.  I just love the primitive, utilitarian style...not to mention the colors!  With the exception of the small plate, which my daughter bought me from her recent trip to Morocco (same colors), all of these items are old.  





This little metal rosemaled box is marked Made in Norway on the bottom.  I bought it in Alabama or Mississippi when we were on vacation last April.  I had no idea then, that I would have this cupboard now.  It looks so nice in there with the complimentary colors. 





The little red and black hand painted wood or toleware (only not metal) were all purchased years apart.  I started with the red, what I'll call salt box, I bought over 25 years ago at an auction.  The black matching one I bought a few years ago in Minnesota at Gold Rush days flea market.  I could hardly believe it when I came across the red box with the same painting.  It has worn leather hinges and I love it!  I found that at Ye Olde Goat in Appleton, WI.  How lucky I was to find all of these similar pieces.  



I added the bittersweet because I saw this from my kitchen window as I washed dishes.  I did sell bunches of this at the Ringle Harvest Day flea market back in October.  I thought the birds would nibble on the left overs.  I guess not. 







So, yesterday when I filled the bird feeder, I cut some.  I know, it's orange and normally thought of for fall decorating.  However, I needed something on the shelves and this was free.  I did add some seed lights and it looks great.  

My daughter introduced me to podcasts.  Do you listen to any?  If so, let me know some of your favorites.  Anyway, one I was listening to said something like this..."the more beautiful things are, the more likely you will create."  That was the second time in 2 weeks I heard something like that.  I will tell you from experience, I've had both - clutter/hoarder and clean - the later is the better!  I've actually been keeping it this way.  Yay!  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

Linked to:  
https://mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com/2019/01/vintage-charm-party-165.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MyThriftStoreAddiction+%28My+Thrift+Store+Addiction+%29


4 comments:

  1. Once again a feast for the eyes, such beauty. I love the old cupboard, what a truly wonderful find and lovingly filled with your amazing collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cupboard display is perfect...and the bittersweet is so neat in there. Who cares if it is a Fall vine. Do what makes you happy. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cupboard is truly stunning Jacky....and your vignettes are so very sweet. In another life, I rosemaled.....a LOT. Still have a bunch of it that I did...and blank pieces I never got to lurking around here someplace....Now tha I think of it, I’m sure my brushes and paints are still here too. I love, love, bittersweet..... You apparently have the perfect setting for it....I planted 3 plants several years ago and they grow well along the cornzebo, but get so few berries....and the berries there are aren’t in nice clumps like they should be. You must have been sold out by the time we found our way to your area at Harvest Days because I don’t recall seeing it....I would have surely bought some if I had! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I adore your vintage cupboard and how you've styled it! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm--pinned!

    ReplyDelete