Friday, February 23, 2024

Farmhouse Friday Week 8 - Ever So Humble Home


 Good Friday Morning.  

How was your week?

This is my mom's parents, Grandma and Grandpa Kincaid.  They lived in a very humble, part log, part roofing (asphalt/tar paper type) for siding, little house.  I've heard some call it a shack.  I would never call it that.  For me, it was the best place - right there along that old chrome kitchen table.  I have memories of coming through the door at their house and running right to that table.  When we would come up to visit, grandma always had trays of cookies all on the table and covered with a dishcloth.  If you look the the far left side there is someone with long hair....that might be me?  Right there, as you entered that little back porch, I can still see my grandpa using a mixer to blend the 10 pounds of mashed potatoes.  Oh, we couldn't wait to come home from Sunday school and dig into the good ol' "lake o butter" in the middle of all the potatoes.  Not to mention the plates of fried chickens...yes chickens...s added.  Grandma used to feed it seemed like all us and half the church.  I now know they didn't have much money, how did they always feed everyone?  Then after our bellies were full, grandpa would get out his fiddle, banjo or harmonica and start in with old time gospel music.  My cousin or brother would join in with guitars and my aunt would sing. They fed us both - bellies and soul.  Then grandma would say "well, Jess, lets load up some plates of food and deliver to (lots of people) and go visit the "old people" at the nursing home."   We did that EVERY Sunday I was up and I'm sure they did it on a regular basis.  They were old people themselves!  Wonderful, wonderful memories I wouldn't trade of the best house or biggest inheritance EVER!!!  My inheritance they invest back into me and I'm the richest for it!

O.k. I guess I was feeling a bit nostalgic.

Our estate sale went about as good as I expected.  This week we are staging and posting what is left for a lot drop on our selling group.

I worked on my "window swag" - if you remember, the branch I hung above my kitchen window.  I plan to decorate it seasonally until I get sick of it. ahaha




I'll share it next week when I have it all done.  

I did teach the second needle felting class to the group of home schooled girls.  Wow, I was so impressed with their creations!

I also was thinking about my Easter and spring decorations and started to "force" some bulbs.  They seem to like the sunny spot in my laundry room.


  I had more physical therapy this week.  I did confess to my therapist that I almost didn't come back.  She asked "why?"  I said, "I'm a repeat offender....I'm sure you see people like me that don't keep up with their heath and need to come back again and again."  She said, "well, we do...."  I guess the first step in recovery is admission.  So, "hey, it's me, I'm my own problem..."

Now, on to step 2 - "I can't do this by myself"

Step 3 - "Lord help me, help myself.  If you do, I will do my best to keep up this time."  

Step 4 - "I know my limits and lack there of of them."

I'm still working on the others....I'm looking at this like a 12 step program.  Because for me, it is!  

Are you doing anything fun this weekend?  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  




7 comments:

  1. Such warm and fond memories. Their house almost sounds like the house I was born in and lived in the first several years of my life (until my grandfather died and my mom and died bought the family farm.) And my mother was the one who cooked for armies of people. Looks like you have a touch of spring fever...hard to believe March is right around the corner. No fun plans this weekend....but I got to spend some time with my grand this afternoon, so that will be joy enough for the weekend. Happy Fri-yay. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandparents lived in Crandon. Cooking for armies - you got that right. I did have a touch of it...not yesterday or today....so cold...we were spoiled. I'm glad you were able to spend time with your grand. I get that next week with both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful memories. The kitchen was the heart of the home for me growing up as well. We had a dusting of snow this morning, so no Spring here yet for me. I thought about bringing out a bit, but changed my mind. Hoping therapy gets better for you. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice! We also had a dusting. Yes, the HEART of the home.

      Delete
  4. What wonderful memories of times past. I hope you are writing them down (or letting your children know about your blog posts and having a way of saving them) so the stories can be passed on. I wish Mum had written some of her stories down. She had such stories to tell. I am going to write down the ones I remember so they aren't forgotten.
    You always inspire me with all that you seem to manage to accomplish! Glad the estate sale went well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. I do try every day...some days are better than others... I wish I would have had my parents write down their memories as well. Stories are the only way I "know" of my great grandparents. Family history is important.

      Delete
  5. It is even longer now. I've donated 5'4" of hair in my lifetime. I will take it one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete