Friday, February 9, 2024

Farmhouse Friday Week 6 - Needle Felting

 


Good Friday Morning - February 9, 2024

This past week, I spent some valuable time with youth in both Shawano and Marathon Counties, teaching them needle felting.  I believe it was almost 60, that includes a few mamas.  The above 2 hearts were my samples for the largest group.  I will return in 2 weeks to share with that group again, only that time, they can pick what they want to make.  

Here are a few pictures.  





Look at all the educational classes offered by Shawano County 4H.  The projects were amazing!  The kids all seemed to have so much fun!  

The largest group was for home school education.  It was all girls.  I did overhear several of them (middle age) talking about boys.  I had to chuckle when one says "ya, and boys, they kill rabbits just for fun!"  I had to hold my laughter, but I knew boys like that too at that age....ahahah!  One of my 4H moms referred me.  When I was setting up, she mentioned that her daughter saw my bread on instagram and wanted to learn that...then the one mom says "yes please, you can teach it here" - sometimes, my bread doesn't turn out...so, I'll have to think on it...ahaha.  








That last one is so happy, it just makes me smile!

Other than, all the tests on my weakness that I mentioned in previous post, we worked on our next estate sale.  




That will be next Friday and Saturday.  

The estate sale is for my friend, Jan.  She grew up in the same neighborhood I did, she was my brother's age.  I really got to know her when Al and I bought our first home, across the alley from her childhood home (she lived in too).   The family, boxed up all the items they wanted us to sell.  Lisa and I have no idea what the items in the boxes look like.  It's like Christmas!  Lisa did squeal, I did too, a few times because something was really cute.  We are telling ourselves "you don't need it, you don't need it!"  We both might weaken on this little bag of cardboard farm animals (we can split it).    

Did you hear, Wisconsin for the first time ever, had a tornado yesterday?  Not up here by me, but in southern Wisconsin.  Crazy weather!  We have very little snow.  We may get a dusting to 2" next week, but other than that - not a Winter Wonderland.  In fact, many northern businesses, aren't even open due to lack ice fishing and snowmobiling crowds.  Sad for those who depend on tourism.  

What is the weather like, by you?  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

11 comments:

  1. Ha ha...my weather currently is probably much like yours: windy and snowflurrying.... I'm thinking our 40's and 50's are gone with the wind. Did I mention it's WINDY??? ;-) Wow, that's quite a group of kids! And it looks like they have some great imagination and creativity. I'm glad they have such amazing opportunities. Growing up, we couldn't do 4H with the farm. Only one vehicle and either dad was working and it was gone or there wasn't time to drive us. There are some classes listed there I want to take. LOL. Good luck with the sale. I could never do what you do....too much would follow me home. ~Robin~ (PS...I think you should teach the bread class....even if your bread flops, it would be a valuable lesson for them...that even for seasoned bakers, sometimes things don't turn out.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always Robin, you give great insight and advice. You are right, bread can fail and that is a good life lesson. I always wanted to be in 4H, but was unable to join as well. That is why I'm so involved with my kids and as adult. There aren't any primitives as this sale - so, it's easier...ahaha

      Delete
  2. How lovely that you are passing on your talent of needle felting to a younger generation. I bet they really enjoyed it! I know that my love of crafts came from things I was taught when I was younger so hopefully there will be some budding needle felters in that group. I too love the heart!

    I really admire you for your estate sale work. It really is such hard work, though there are treasures to be found!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon, it is hard work. We were talking just yesterday, what would we "do" if we didn't "do this?" "This" allowed us to stay home and raise our daughters (Lisa has 2 also). "This" has evolved over the years. However, we find in 2024 we are going back to some of the things we did 30 plus years ago. Mostly, because we can't drag in big pieces of furniture to shows anymore.

      Delete
  3. I need to have an estate sale. I'll bet I could let go of half the things in my house and not look back...but it is a LOT of work sorting through. Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is actually "work" to do. It's easier to let go when you don't have an emotional attachment to the item. Unfortunately, I have items in my house that I call "Elva's" or whomever the estate we did was. This is my "Elva" quilt....so, sometimes digging in these estates, you grow attached to an item based on what you "learned" from cleaning their's out. It's been a fun job.

      Delete
  4. It is hard for sure, however with less room in my house - because of buying - it's getting easier. If a piece is really nice tho - it may end up in one of our homes....ahaha

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful talent you have and just precious that you are passing it down to others. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  6. What dates are your estate sale? February 16-17? Will any of it be online?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this time we are doing it at the office on February 16-17. After that, what is left we will post online. So many dishes. We already sold some one line and later found pieces to sets in different boxes. So, as long as we had to open ALL the boxes we just decided to try a quick sale.

      Delete