Tuesday, February 20, 2024

The Trouble with Being an Optimist

 Hello friends:

If you are new to my blog, welcome.  

Question:  What do you see?  A weed or wish?



I'm sure those who know me, even it you only do through reading my posts, can guess I am an optimist.  As long as I can remember; even being called "Little Miss Sunshine" from the neighbor lady and several grade school teachers.  

I have to say, I do have a "knack" for finding the "silver lining."

The problem with that, I have come to realize the older I get, is that optimists are often misunderstood.  

"Oh Jacky, my dog died" - "I'm sorry, but you gave it a good life."

"My mother had a stroke" - "Mine did too, enjoy her while she is still here." 

"I am tired of walking" - "I'm am too, but we are almost there."

Do you see it?  

My coping and dealing with trials lets call them, is finding the good in whatever it is.  I mean, I can't help myself at times, because I don't want to go down a path of sadness, it leads no where.  I've been surrounded by family, even faced it myself, that suffer from depression.  I watched, witnessed and wondered why they felt such deep sadness.  

Don't get me wrong here, I've had trials that have knocked me on my knees (in prayer).  I've been down too.  I just seem to find a way out - that "silver lining."  Because of this, optimists like myself, can come across as "unsympathetic."  It's not that I don't recognize other's trauma or trials, I do.  I feel for them.  I guess, I just jump to something positive to try to help them.  

Recently, I read an article about my personality type (enneagram 7) and it shared things that we 7's do that we could improve on.  One was, before we turn on the "bright side," we take time to acknowledge the pain or dismay with what our friend is telling us.  We, 7's, want to help....sometimes, helping is just listening and giving advice later.

I've tried to do this more, since becoming aware of it in myself.  I believe each feeling, emotion deserves a bit of reflection.  If someone tells me their "bad news" now, I try to listen, acknowledge and be sympathetic.  But, mark my words if after a awhile, one is still down in the dumps, "Little Miss Sunshine" will be on her way sharing unwanted advice.....ahahaha.  I only do this out of love.  Truly! 

If you happen to be an optimist too, or know one, please keep this post in your thoughts.  Don't judge the optimists too harshly, they are just coping with what you told them, the best they know how.  We don't want your thinking we belittle the situation, we are just trying to help you.

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

10 comments:

  1. I try to be an optimist but it is not always easy.
    You are right to try to look on the bright side the world is dark enough
    cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting post... As you know by now, I am NOT an optimist so reading about your "experience" with it, made me think of things a bit differently. I don't believe I have thought optimists and not sympathetic or share unwanted advice....I just think I have envied that they could view things so positively since I seem to struggle with that. Funny...the two of us being somewhat on opposite ends of the spectrum struggling in some ways to understand what it like to be on the other end. But, I always welcome visits from the Little Miss Sunshines in my life. ;-) ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, I really love how you take the time to really comment on everyone's blogs. You always leave insightful comments. Yes, Little Miss Sunshine will be set up at the Wausau Antique Show in March if you are up to coming.

      Delete
  3. I must admit I fall somewhere in the middle, I think. I try to see the good, though sometimes I can't help but think of the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. I will have to remember this. I knew you were a 7, but did not know you were called Little Miss Sunshine. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice. Yes, my friend's mom started calling me that.

      Delete
  5. I, too, seem to be an optimist, although I don’t think I realized it until a friend brought it to my attention. I am empathic, almost to a fault. I take others’ grief very hard, but somehow manage to find a path for growth. Anyone who knows you, surely will not take offense. You seem to have a compassionate spirit. Keep on finding those silver linings! Blessings, daisy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Daisy. I do try. I will keep looking for them.

      Delete