Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Dicky Bird's Spice Apple Jamelly

 What an abundance of apples this year!  

Yesterday I made applesauce.  After a couple batches, I was done with that...ahaha.  So, I got out my Breville juicer and finished up that crate.  (only about 8 more crates to go).  I wanted to try my own twist on apple jam/jelly - jamelly....ahaha.  Stop it Dicky Bird!!!  This may be the BEST recipe I ever made up!  I made a perfect bite - wafer cracker, cheddar cheese, apple slice with a dollop of this jamelly - this will be on my Christmas charcuterie board!  




Here is the recipe if you want to try it.

 Dicky Bird's Spiced Apple Jamelly

7 C apples juiced - juiced apples 

3 T lemon juice

3 T cinnamon

3 t ground cloves

7 C Sugar

Pour juice in a heavy bottom kettle and add lemon juice.  Mix sugar with spices and add to the liquid.  Bring to a boil, cook until you can dip a spoon into the liquid and only have a drop or two slide off when you pull it up.  It took a long time for it to thicken up with out using pectin.  As it was cooking I kept stirring and skimming off the foam.  Just before you turn off the heat add a nub of butter (I don't know why, my mom always did this and I do too).  That is it.  Fill clean jars and hot water bath for 10 min.  Super easy.




(this is the foam from the top - don't toss it, use it on toast)


This was my "test batch" it made 1 quart jar and some for the refrigerator to eat now.  This would be really good with ham, cheese "jamich" (am I the only one who think that is funny) too.  I may even add a spoonful to my oatmeal...oh the possibilities.  


Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

4 comments: