Wednesday, November 1, 2023

Blast from the Past - November is National Native American Heritage Month

November is National Native American Heritage Month

 As most generational "Americans" living in this great old "melting pot," my heritage comes from various backgrounds.  What I am the "most" of is Potawatomi, if one was to divide themselves in fractions.  Which unfortunately is how the U.S. Government regulates tribal people - % of blood quantum.  It is what it is....

I've shared about my heritage in many posts, but this one is a good one:  Great Grandpa and Grandma Ritchie

My dad is the little one, the other two girls are his sisters, my grandma is behind my dad.  My grandma was German.  She worked for Connor Lumber as a bookeeper when she met my grandpa Ritchie.  My dad grew up on the reservation.   



Here he is again.  I love that little smerky face - he did this face his whole life.  He was fortunate NOT to have to go to a boarding school.  An ugly part of history that has now come to a better light is how native children were treated at these "schools."  My great grandpa Ritchie was quoted as saying "none of my grandchildren will go to those schools."  He had some influence and he petitioned the BIA to hire a teacher for the Forest County Potawatomi children.  The Kokomo Reservation School began in 1934 with 20 students (3 were my family).  

I did NOT grow up in traditional ways.  However, we were raised in tradition.  If that makes sense....how we treat one another, our land, how to hunt and gather, garden and fish and respect for all life.  Especially those we took to harvest.  I heard a "hunting story" - it made me sick!  I kept thinking how my dad would not like that!  Even Al said it was so disrespectful to the animal.  Anway....

I struggled with not looking "native" enough, yet being teased for being "native."  Ya....I don't harbor bad feelings or suffer from any trauma...ahahah....

I celebrate my Native American Heritage - rich and full in the knowledge of where I come from - steeped in tradition.  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin. 

2 comments:

  1. I find your heritage fascinating...and always have. While little boys of our "generation" loved dressing like cowboys and Indians, I dressed like a little Native American squaw. Seriously. And in school, I was mesmerized by the history. That fascination continued through college and, as I think you know, I have a degree in Anthropology. My honor thesis was on the a Nanabush tails of the Ojibwa. Yours is a rich heritage and one you wear proudly...and rightfully so. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Native Americans should be celebrated every day, not just one month. So sad how the children were treated in the schools and not being able to learn their family heritage. That makes me sick. Janice

    ReplyDelete