Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Harvesting Herbs

 Well, that was a wonderful growing season.  I did my best to "cultivate" my harvest, including these herbs.  


Did you know, herbs will keep in a glass of water in your refrigerator or salad crisp drawer for weeks.  I did this last year and had herbs until well after Thanksgiving.  I used my sage for the turkey and other herbs for the dressing.  So, I did this again this year.


Preparing herbs is so much easier when you use scissors.  I washed and cut off the woody stems.  




I had a really good onion harvest too, only the little ones are very "spicy/sharp/onionie" and would add great flavor to stock.  So I decided to make bone broth bags of herbs and onions for the freezer.  I do make bone broth often and now I will have these to toss in for flavor.  



When I started I knew I wanted to make some herb butter.  Super easy to make and you could do so many different flavors.  I know adding to steaks is a favorite, but even baked potato, chicken breasts, warm bread, popcorn, pasta, it just makes whatever you use it on "special."

I used the sciccors to cut up the herbs into tiny pieces and I added it to the soft butter and mixed it up.  There is no doing it wrong, really, you can't go wrong with butter and herbs. 

                                       



Roll it between and in parchment paper.  I added some parsley leaves for decoration.



Put the butter in a cold safe container and into the freezer.  You can cut off small sections when you want too.  




I hope you give some of these ideas a try.  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  


4 comments:

  1. Ok...this post makes me feel very guilty. My herbs were incredible this year - the basil did not seed out and just grew and grew...and I swear I had the largest parsley plant in all of Marathon County. Yet I did nothing...absolutely nothing...with them. :-( I cut big swaths of basil and rosemary before the hard frosts began and intended to make some basil/garlic butter...but, sigh...that didn't happen and the basil "expired" in the frig. I do have some sage drying though. And, thankfully, a neighbor took some of the basil for pesto (which she makes and freezes) so not all was wasted. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin, I didn't do all I could have with what I grew either, so I get what you are saying. This is a good segue into my next quote...and post...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did not know that herbs would last in water in your fridge. TFS I love making cherry butter for the holidays using maraschino cherries and a bit of juice. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of some sweet ones to make, thanks for the idea!

      Delete