Friday, November 30, 2018

Selling Antiques with Provenance

Lisa and I met with new clients yesterday.  This couple, like the other's we have worked for this past year, are downsizing.  This couple was blessed with 2 boys, who now in their 50's are downsizing as well.  This is the same issue we have faced with several of our clients this year.  Not only that, but daughter-in-laws not necessarily as interested in "family" pieces as you would hope.  (smile).

This couple has a beautiful home filled with lovely antiques.  In the business we call them "brown" pieces.  You know the spoon carved, intricate and ornate furniture pieces that were like "works of art" in simplistic home decor.  The stand out, show stoppers.  If you are in the business, you know that these pieces as beautiful as they are, aren't in the current trends.  It's hard to be the bearer of this news, when the family loves each and every piece.  Not only love, but has a story - true provenance.  

As we walked around, she told the history and story for everything in her home.  It was like a history lesson.  One piece even has the receipt from 1869 - yep, 1869.  Her grandmother purchased it with her first paycheck from her first teaching job.  I mean....what can you say....if you know me..."make one of your sons take this!"  She is still trying!  

If you have ever bought something from me, you know that I enjoy giving provenance when I know it.  I usually do, as most of my pieces are purchased like this, where the family tells it to me and I can pass it on to the buyer.  To me, this is just as important as the antique itself.  I know my customers will even ask "Jacky, what is the story behind this piece."  

Lisa and I didn't know what our "next" job was, but it found us.  We will be sharing the provenance and pieces for sale soon - once she is done trying to convince her family to take it (wink, wink).  

Here are 2 items that will be for sale soon.  This little doll and these adorable metal child size chairs.  Our client was a kindergarten teacher and these were in her classroom.  She said not only her students, but sons and grandchildren all sat in them.  She was hesitant in letting them go.  It's hard downsizing and trying to help client's do so.   




Keep watching as I plan to blog about each piece, share the provenance and then list it.  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  


2 comments:

  1. They are adorable, such a shame they need to go but I am sure you will find a really good new home for them.

    ReplyDelete