Friday, September 29, 2023

Farmhouse Friday - September 29, 2023

 Well here it is, another Friday.  Whew, that week went by fast!

It's looking like fall around here!  Colors, brisk air, foggy mornings and nights.  I have been elbows deep in food and standing in my kitchen most of the week.  From home raised, ham on Monday to onion, garlic sourdough bread baking as I type this....food prep defines my week.  



I didn't can as much as I normally do, but did finish up the tomatoes from the garden.  


After I cut the meat off the ham bone, I had to cook it down for soup!  I made a Nesco full.  Why is it, when I make soup it turns into a Nesco full...ahaha.  Anyway, I froze individual little containers for my lunches later.  I mean, come on, nothing warms you like a good ol bowl of soup.  



On the way home from my visit with Anna last week, I stopped in this little town that has an awesome thrift shop.  And, no, I am not going to tell you where it is...so don't ask...ahahah.  I have found the best stuff at this one.  I can't give away all my secrets.  I found these books.  They should be easy, entertaining reads for the upcoming dark, cold evenings.  I stated the first one and I like it so far.  


Working on my October "work" calendar.  I have some plans for the holiday season.  "Jingle all the Way" rural shop hop.  Some of us up here north of....pick a line...any line...we are too far from everything and other shop hops.  So, we are going to do our own.  We are planning for December 9.  More details in the works. 


I'm crossing "this" off my bucket list.  I've always wanted a Subaru Forester.  We have been looking for a used one, but they are almost as much as a new one.  So, we did new!  As in ordered it, came on the ship, took 6 weeks, no frills or extras (you don't need a guarantee, it's a Subaru!) and then, hid it in the garage until I could drive with 2 hands (remember I had a cast on).  It's almost too smart for me, because they come with features I've not had on any vehicle before.  This will more than likely be the last "new" car for me.  

Speaking of vehicles, we had a cool thing happen to us this week.  Let me give you the back story.  Al's family is from Ringle.  His dad's childhood farm sits about 3 miles from here.  When he was a teenager, he bought this old Model T from a gentleman who had a house just down the road from our farm, like 1/2 mile.  He drove this back and forth to high school in Birnamwood and at time college in Stevens Point.  After college he entered the Navy, was a pilot, few jets, served on aircraft carriers, became an officer and ending his career at the Navel Academy in Maryland.  That whole time, this old Model T was in storage, in a shed, on his childhood farm.  Al's cousin, Colleen told me that when they were little, any time they even looked like they were going to walk over and look in that shed, Granny would yell "you kids stay out of that shed and don't you touch Uncle Eddy's truck!"  As time went on, my in laws moved back to the area and this old truck was stored in their garage.  I only remember seeing it 1 or 2 times in 1986/7 when Al and I were dating.  Ed gave this to his brother Gerhard in 1987.  He took it back to his home near Cross Plains.  Now, this past summer we had a Luetschwager family reunion (1st time in decades).  I happen to mention the Model T and "if you ever decide to sell it, let Al know."  Well, Uncle Gerhard gave it to Al.  We drove down and picked it up.  



Uncle Gerhard, his son Mark and Al.  

Here is Al's dad, Ed in the Model T


Here is Ed's brothers, mom, dad and little sister.  Gerhard is boy 2, Ed is 3 in line.  They were very close brothers and Gerhard has many memories with this Model T as well.  Thanks Uncle Gerhard for taking such good care of this old treasure!  Such a special gift to Al! 



As well pulled into Ringle, old Model T on the trailer, we both said out loud, almost at same time, well....here you are....back to your beginnings!  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  


4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story about the model T I hope you both have lots of years to enjoy it.
    Lucky you canning we had no tomatoes this year it was so rainy they never ripened. Happy cooking
    Cathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a special story, for sure. Ours were bountiful and I'm glad I stopped at 10 plants. (wink, wink)

      Delete
  2. Oh, that soup looks all kind of delicious! Yeah, my soups always seem to "grow" in the pot as well LOL. But somehow, no soup goes to waste around me. I did not can any tomatoes this year...I'd done quite a few last year and still have quite a few left so they should last for this year. Congrats on the new Subaru. My son has several Subarus and I don't think he will get any other car but (his trucks, of course, are a different matter). Love the story of (and photos relating to) the Model T. What a precious gift - not only to all, but also to his uncle who must feel so good knowing it went to someone who had such a connection to it. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a complete circle for that old car! Thanks.

      Delete