Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Waste Not Wednesday - Bone Broth and Croutons

 Any stale or old bread usually will get fed to the chickens, however sometimes I make croutons.  Easiest, thing to do, with something you would just toss.  Just cube up your bread, this could be any type, drizzle with an oil and season with your favorite herbs and spices.  Put in a 350 oven until you can smell them and they are toasted.  So easy, so good!





Another thing I do is save bones and carcasses.  I know that sounds funny, but instead of tossing out the chicken carcass, the beef roast or ham bone, I bag them and freeze them.  When I have enough to fill my pressure cooker, I'll make some bone broth.  I also am happy that last year I did this:  Harvesting Herbs I plan to do this again this year.  I also add anything in my refrigerator that is less than fresh...this time it was mushrooms.  Fill with water.  








Liquid gold .... so easy to do!  I thought everyone did this, because growing up, my mom did this.  I just thought it was what you were supposed to do.  Little did I know....now it's a "thing."  My parents were little during the depression, they had so many things they did out of necessity that have now become trendy.  I use my T-Fal Calipso, Infusion Pressure Cooker - it was the "intapot" of the 1990's.  It is a valuable part of my cookware, that I wouldn't want to be without.

Next time you have some "less than" fresh food item or something you may toss, I hope you think of this post and try to use it.  Do you do something like this?  If so, what is it?

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

5 comments:

  1. I have done it but I am not faithful to saving things to do it with.
    I think we are all going to be singing waste not want not. by the end of the year.
    I have been doing the croutons for years I love them.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are times I wish I had a pressure cooker...but for as much as I would actually use it, it doesn't make sense. I do save my ham bone for soups, but I no longer cook large cuts of meat so there are few bones. Hope you are staying safe with the storms and tornadoes moving through. Yikes! ~Robin~ (TheCrankyCrow)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally looked at my comments....ahaha...those were some crazy storms. Now I actually need the rain.

      Delete
  3. I dont have a presser cooker, but I do use food up and freeze leftovers. I agree, waste not. Janice

    ReplyDelete