Friday, June 17, 2022

Dicky Bird's Bananna Rhubarb Muffins

 I have been baking and saving rhubarb for decades...ahahha...but, I was today years old when I discovered this on pinterest:  


I added a (4 serving) box of sugar free jello (you could use regular) to my diced rhubarb.  Now, I normally don't add this type of thing to my food - I don't like artificial sweeteners - but, to cut back on sugar - well like all the sugar, I gave it a try.  You could use any flavor - I picked black cherry.  

I let my rhubarb and jello sit in a container over night to bake with it the next day.  Here is one of the recipes I made up.  I started with a simple banana muffin type batter.  

1/2 stick soft butter

3/4 C brown sugar; cream together

add 2 eggs

2-3 cut up bananans; blend well

add 2 1/2 C flour

1 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 tsp. salt

1 1/2 tsp. baking powder, blend well

stir in your jello rhubarb (mine was 1 huge stalk - if you like it more rhubarbish add more).  

If your batter is too thin - add a bit more flour; if too thick - add a splash or 2 of milk.  Spoon into muffin cups/tin.  I added a crumb mixture on top:  melted butter, brown sugar, oatmeal and a bit of cinnamon.  Bake 375 till done.  


Super moist and tasty.  


I like to experiment and make up my own recipes.  I guess you all know that after all these years.  Don't be afraid of not having a recipe, the more you experiment with cooking/baking, the more you'll like coming up with your own creations.  Sometimes Al will say, "that's a good one, make sure to write it down" as sometimes I can't remember how I made it.  That's why I blog these things...ahahah.  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  


8 comments:

  1. Well I never heard of mixing bananas with rhubarb. I am having a hard time finding it in the stores. Mine died over Winter. UGH Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's too bad. Usually rhubarb is very hardy.

      Delete
  2. Years ago my mother would put a box of blueberry jello in her blueberry muffins and they were always a huge hit. I don't think they even make it anymore.
    I do that with cooking meatloaf I never make it same twice in all these years.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They may have the blueberry jello for the 4th of July. I'm going to look for it now. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. They sure look good...but I have never liked rhubarb anything. Weird, I know. ~Robin~ (TheCrankyCrow)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember breaking off a piece and dipping it in a glass of sugar when I was little. Memories...

      Delete
  4. Looks delicious. I love rhubarb. My mum used to make a Rhubarb Crumble when I was young. It was delicious with warm custard (English thing lol)

    ReplyDelete