Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Chicken Games

I have no idea why the chickens - especially the roosters - love to hop in and scratch around in this wash tub/planter!


This picture shows exactly what they do.  The little black rooster just hopped out, the tan one just hopped in and the other fuzzy black rooster is waiting in line for his turn.  It's crazy!


Now it's his turn.  This wash tub has a plant I bought from the DCE dance team fund raiser.  It was a beautiful pink, wave petunia.


Now it looks like this....


They scratched off every single leaf and flower.  It puzzles me why they did this, this year.  I don't usually put petunias in these, maybe it was that.  I don't know, but this year all my chicken have been destructive.  They have pecked and scratched nearly every thing I've planted.  The hens even dug up my seeds in the garden.  I've replanted some things 2 times.  I like them to free range, because they do eat their weight in bugs and ticks.  Oh well, I'll plant some lettuce, spinach and peas again, when it gets cooler.


I will try mums in these in the fall.  For now, I'm leaving it alone and now, apparently so are the roosters!  Thanks boys!

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

3 comments:

  1. Well, my washtub plants look a wee bit worse than yours....think husbands are more destructive than chickens LOL. Oye! Hope you had a good Fourth! ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm mystery to me too. Dont recall gramms chickens doing this. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine are behaving at the moment but I doubt it will last. It makes an great difference to the eggs when they are free range as you know. Love to see the old washtub, I recently found one which I am thinking will make a great addition to the garden.

    ReplyDelete