Friday, June 5, 2020

Something Old, Something New - Evelyn's Wedding dress

NOTE:  This is a fictional story I created to be the premis of our 3 VIRTUAL sales.  The first sale is "I Do" - this week the blog posts will give clues as to what you may expect in each vignette.  

Something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue.  Where did that saying come from?    The traditional wedding rhyme goes:  Someting old, something new, something borrowed, something blue and a sixpense in your shoe.  The mantra started as a Victorian-era rhyme that come out of the English country Lancashire.  The something old stands for continuity, something new for optimism, something borrowed for happiness and something blue represents purity, love and fidelity.  



Over the years, Evelyn perused through that old bride magazine, until the pages were tattered.  She knew every little detail and secret printed between the covers.  Oh the hours she spent pining over her dream wedding.  "Well, my dress is going to have lace all in the front with tiny buttons down my back, " says Esther, Evelyn's best friend.  "Well, my dress is going to be all lace with tulling on the skirt" says Evelyn "and I will have a long lace veil." 

The two young girls, under the old quilt, reading by flashlight,  squealed with delight looking at the pictures and planning their wedding days.  "My husband will be a doctor, we will live in a big house with so many rooms I will need hire a maid."  Esther giggled.  "Well, my husand will be..." Evelyn thought for a moment, "I don't know what he will be, but he WILL be ALL mine."  Oh how they laughed, long into the night.  

"Evelyn, you have a package .... Julette Originals Dress Company" mother calls up the stairs to her.  "Yippie," Evelyn yells as she slides down the banister.  "Evelyn dear" her mother scolds "you must be more careful, you do want to walk down the isle, don't you?!"  "Oh, mama, don't worry, I feel like I could fly."  

As Evelyn grabbed the package she twirlled around, jumping up and down all while Skipper, their old dog, was barking.  "Let's go open it and try it on."  Evelyn raced up the steps, mother followed right behind as did old Skipper.  He figured something must be very tasty for Evelyn to be so excited.  He was sorely disppointed when mother shewed him out the bedroom door.  








"A Paula Dean Original!  Mama, just like the one in the magainze!"  Evelyn admired the tiny pearls and sprarkly bottice.  The lace was just as she had always dreamed.  "You have your something new, this dress."  Mama says.  "I have my something old, grandma's pearls," Evelyn says.  Just then, the door creaks open and in walks Frank with Esther close behind.  "I saw the delivery truck, I knew it was your dress.  Oh Evelyn it is beautiful!"  Esther says.  "We have something old, something new..." just as Evelyn was about to say... Esther chimes in, "I have your blue" as she hands Evelyn a blue hankie.  It seemed oddly familiar to Evelyn as she looked at it.  Then she remembered, it was her old hankie, the one she gave Esther the day the navy officer came with news of her brother's passing.  "You borrowed that to me and I have cried many tears into it" says Esther.  "I give it back to you on one condition, you only cry happy tears."  The two best friends hug each other tightly.  "Wait a minute..." Frank says as leaves the room.  He walked across the hall to his room.  "What is he doing?" Esther asks  "I don't know" says Evelyn.  

Frank comes back into the room holding the tiniest litte clam shell purse.  His mind must have traveld to the weeked leave from war to the beautiful island in the Pacific.  "I bought it for my future bride" Frank says.  "I will borrow it to you for your special day."  "Oh, Frank, it's adorable!"  Evelyn says.  "Well, that's that!" mama says.  "Old, new, borrowed, blue and I do believe I now need my hankie."  





You are cordially invited to "I Do" a VIRTUAL pop up sale.  Link here:  Saturday, June 6, 2020 9 am.  Thanks.  Here is the Link:
  https://www.facebook.com/events/1162232194110367/

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin  


2 comments:

  1. I can truly picture it all! Tomorrow's the big day!! What a beautiful dress....and that little clam shell purse is adorable!! Hope Evelyn gets some sleep tonight! ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an adorable dress, and a great event.

    ReplyDelete