Thursday, June 18, 2020

Farmer's Wife - Rhubarb Crunch

NOTE:  This is a fictional story I created to be the premiss of our 3 VIRTUAL sales.  Week 1 was "I Do," week 2 was "Barn Yard" and this is our final week "Farmer's Wife."  We follow along in Evelyn's journey from June bride to farmer's wife.  The VIRTUAL event will be, Saturday, June 20.  We will post photos of what is for sale that morning.  These blog posts will give clues as to what you may expect in each vignette.  

If you are new to the story, go back in the previous blog posts to find out about Evelyn & Williams's story.


"Would you like some rhubarb?"  Fran asked.  Fran and her daughter, Mary, attended the same church in Ringle with Evelyn and Williams' famly.  Her husband, a friend of William's, had been killed in action during the war.  She was a very pretty, petite widow, not much older than Evelyn.  "I'd love some.  Do you have a good recipe?"  Evleyn asked.  "Yes, I do, come stop by on your way home and I'll share some with you."  Evelyn and Fran walked back to her little house.  In the back was a nice patch of rhubarb.  "I get so much, I can't use it all."  The two women had become quick friends this past year.  Evelyn often would walk to Fran's house for a cup of tea or coffee.  

"My family will be here Friday evening.  Oh, Fran, I've missed them so much!"  Fran wrote down the recipe for Evelyn.  "This sounds so good, thank you!"  As the two hugged, the rhubarb leaves brushed between them.  Mary grabbed her mama's leg and said "I want a hug too!"  As Evelyn pushed a leaf away from Fran's face, she happen to take a good look at her.  She was so striking, long black hair with green eyes.  Mary had the same beautiful locks, but with blue eyes.  Evelyn often wondered about her husband, but knew it too painful of a subject to talk about.  "Oh, please come over on Saturday to meet my family and of course have a piece ruhbarb crunch" Evelyn said.  As she walked toward home, she looked back, Fran and Mary were waving, she waved and blew a kiss.  "I wonder...she thought...."  


As she walked back to the farm, Evelyn wasn't thinking about the cooking and cleaning or any of the preparations, she was thinking about Frank, her brother.  He had more of a difficult return from the war than William.  William had me and a farm to come back to.  Maryland had abundant fishing, ship building and construction jobs, but Frank couldn't find the right fit. Evelyn was afraid that losing William and her, may have been too much for Frank.  He hardly wrote anymore and when he did she could read his sadness between the lines.  

"What do you think of Fran?"  Evelyn asked William.  "Francesca?" Think of her in what way"  William asked.  "Francesca?  I thought her name was Fran."  Evelyn asked.  "Well, you see, Francesca's family is from Italy.  They moved here from Chicago when she was about 14.  Big city life wasn't for them, they longed for a little piece of the country."  William explained.  "I still remember the first day she came to school.  Fred told the rest of us boys, 'don't even think about it,' he had his eyes on her.  It seemed love at first sight for both.  Fred started calling her Fran and it stuck."  William added.  

"Well, what do you think of her?"  Evelyn asked.  "She is a good friend to you, mama to Mary and I've had her apple pie at church, she is a good cook."  "No, silly, I mean do you find her attractive?"  William was careful in what he said.  Everyone found Fran attractive.   "Do you think..." Evelyn started.  William, saw it in her eyes, what she was  thinking, "now don't go play miss match maker" he said.  "But, you see it right?  Frank and Fran?  That evens sounds cute and Mary could have a ...." before Evelyn could finish the word, William said, "you know, you may be right and that sure would be nice."  They had such a wonderful life here on the farm, they only wanted the best for Frank as well.  "Well, let's not be too pushy...Evelyn..." William already knew it was too late.  Once she had an idea on something, there was no stopping her.  

Fran's Rhubarb Crunch

1 Cup flour
3/4 Cup oats
1 Cup brown sugar
1 t cinnamon
1/2 Cup soft butter
Mix together, reserve 1/4 cup or so for topping.  Press rest in a prepared pan
1 Cup sugar
2 T corn starch
1 Cup water
1 t vanilla
4 Cups, peeled and chopped rhubarb
Cook together till thick (not totally cooked) and pour over crust and sprinkle with extra crumbs.  Bake 350 for 1 hour.






Follow along with the story as we prepare for the VIRTUAL event on Saturday.  I will post vignettes of items for sale on my Farmhouse Friday post.  To buy an item, you need to be a part of the Event:

Thanks for all the encouraging comments.  I have enjoyed writing this little story.  I try to find items for sale that go along with it.  



Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  


2 comments:

  1. Well now, that looks good enough to eat! I will be trying this recipe soon! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rhubarb and farm wives go together like biscuits and gravy I swear...and everyone in our family loved rhubarb...except me LOL. And sadly, I don't think my son ever has even tasted it because I never used it since I didn't care for it. Hmmmm... ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete