Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Tips on Tuesday - Creating Orginal Content

I like to create my own content.  I mean from the ground up.  This isn't easy, it takes up most of my time and efforts.  You know, this social media numbers thing, can be a drag!  I mean, we can't help but compare, even if we try to make others believe we don't.  So, as you read this post, keep in mind that some people do have "help" - a team, even.  No one can "do it all" even if we think they are.  

I did see a rather popular local social media food guru buying several rotisserie chickens from the deli.  I didn't think anything of it, until I started seeing all the pictures of meals on their site.  This person is a chef...I thought they roasted their own chickens?  It doesn't matter really, I don't care, it's just I was a bit suprised.   I think sometimes when we see the success of others, we assume they "do it all."  I mean, not to sound snotty, but we ordered chicks, raised them, butchered them, baked them, cooked down their carcass for stock and I share all of this on my sites.....get what I'm saying here - "ground up" kinda thing.  

However, I don't have no where near the followers this person has....even with my knowing how to do "it all" - tehee!  I'm just joking, but I do know people see my content, because the tell me.  Even people I don't know.  I'm sure the same is true of you.  What I try to do is sort my way out from the herd.  One can only see that perfectly staged, professionally taken stock photo so many times to know it might not be as original as you think.   

I say all of that to give you some of my "Tips on Tuesday - Original Content"

1.  I said it above, "sort your way out from the herd" - no matter what you are a herd of:  artists, furniture painter, home decor, spiritual, inspirational - whatever, find a way to do something different in your area of exertise.  I tend to come up with catchy sayings for my sales:  "Manic Monday, Wacky Wednesday, Friends on Friday" it's the extra little something that draws attention to your content.

2.  Think about what you are good at and stick to it.  You can only create original content as an expert or guru on things you actually do and know how to do.  Yes, share it, even if other's end up copying, share it anyway.  People may copy you, but they aren't you.

3.  Post all the steps or stages to something.  A series of posts to keep followers looking.  I do this all the time.  I did a whole series on my blog about "How I Learned to Turn it Over to Jesus" a detailed account of our daughter's cancer story.  I also did a series of "Lessons from Mama Hen."   Find a topic, you know about and do this.  People will be interested in seeing or reading from beginning to end.

4.  Be honest in what you do or share.  Even if you make a mistake the "how not to do this" is just as important.   The vulnerablity of these types of posts are orginal content.  Readers like to know that they are not alone in a feeling a certain way or making a mistake.  Don't discard these types of posts as "fails."  Sharing these, may just be what draws a new follower.  I do this thing on my personal facebook page called "More from that moment when..." and I share a funny little story about something I did or said.  It almost always makes me look "bad" but, those are the posts that get the most LIKES and comments.  I enjoy laughing at myself and figured others would too.  (smile).

5.  Whatever you are doing during the day, think about how to make a post about it.  Make sure to take some pictures even if you don't use them.  You will regret not taking pictures if later you think of a way you could create a post about it.  I do this all the time.  At the end of the week or month I look at my photos and delete those I didn't use.  Orginal content might be as simple as "view from my kitchen window" which I've done.  Trust me, no one else will have that view.  One time I took a picture of a cup of cocoa with whip topping, sprinkles in an adorable antique mug and shared it on Instagram.  My daughter messages me and says..."that must be for a blog post!"  Oh, she knows me well!   It's this, the everyday "boring" things that not only creates orginal content, but YOUR orginal content.

Oh I could probably ramble on some more here...however, I'll save it for another post.  (wink, wink).  I would LOVE to hear how you create orginal content on your sites.  Please share your tips with us.  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.   


4 comments:

  1. i LOVED this!!! when i tell people i have a blog, most people ask me what it is about?? i always say the same thing..."my boring life but you know what, people come, people read, and people seem to enjoy it"!!!

    i don't often know what i am going to write about, but i always seem to come up with something!! i don't use fancy, funny titles...i stick to what the post is about so when i would like to find them later, they are easier to find!!!

    this is a great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent pointers, Jacky....and each and every one true.... I did squirm a bit on the “series” thing and following through through LOL.... My “WWR” series popped to mind...and my “Collections” series.... The “collections” thing probably has no real “ending,” but I did just give up on it...and the WWR, well, I guess I was thinking most people kinda lost interest after the long hiatus....even I sorta forgot where I left off. But you’re right...it needs to be “from beginning to end.” And I have no problems thinking of things to blog about...but then I tend to over-think things...and wonder if anyone else would find it interesting...or read-worthy.... Guess I am just a bit rusty from my long absence.... Thanks for the pointers.... Hope you have your duck-feet on...looks like we’re in for a wet couple of weeks.... ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! I am still trying to find my way, my niche, my 'thing' - especially it seems in my photography. I try to force myself not to look at numbers. It isn't always easy. I do need to figure out the blog thing. My uneventful life one isn't too bad, but I struggle with the photography one.

    ReplyDelete