Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Kissing Corn

I met with a dear old friend and mentor for lunch.  She told me her husband had a gift for me - a cob of red "kissing" corn.  She said "don't you remember your dad telling Ken this story?"  I did not.  So, she reminded me of the visit my dad had with Ken and this story.  



During the harvest, when all the corn was brought in the barn and sorted to be dried, if someone found a red cob, it was called the "kissing" corn.  The one finding it was granted a kiss from whomever they chose.  When she gave me this cob, I said, "give Ken a kiss for me..." she said... "I'm sure he'd rather have one from you..(smile)."  

It was nice to know Ken valued the story my dad shared with him years ago.  My dad was very knowledgeable in all kinds of things.  He had a wonderful sense of humor and loved to "pick on" people.  He would often say, "If I didn't like you, I wouldn't tease you."  

Years ago, my parents moved back to the reservation in assisted living while their house here was being made handicap accessible.  My aunts came for a visit.  One was my mom's sister, Jackie, my namesake and the other her sister-in-law, Dee.  I was there that day, as they came in I said..."well, look what the cat drug in....too old bats..."  They both said...."Dicky Bird, you're as bad as Hank!"  Yep, I get this from him!  Sweet memories.  


Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  



No comments:

Post a Comment