Thursday, February 8, 2018

A & R Promotions - Audre' & Ray Hanson

If you live in Wisconsin, know anything about the antique show circuit, you probably know Audre' and Ray Hanson.  





A & R Promotions started their business in 1985.  Their first show and event was held at the Wausau Mall.  Here is a link to their webpage:  http://www.antiqueshowsinwis.com/

As a 3rd generation "picker" it was a natural progression for me to do antique shows.  The first person to give me a helping hand in that was Audre'.  I will never forget her walking into my booth at a flea market, as she looked around, checked my prices, she says..."you need to do my shows."  I have set up at many of her shows since...1996?   

She is the premier event coordinator - for real - in our area.  She, not only was the first from Wausau, but first woman to do so.  Not to discredit Ray for his work, but Audre' is the driving force that keeps it all flowing so smoothly.  

I would be remiss not to state, Audre' has been a mentor to me as well.  I am the type of promoter I am, due to her influences over the years.  In addition to that, all the friendships I have made with amazing "older" vendors - gleaning from their experiences and knowledge was an intricate part of my personal growth as an antique dealer.  These experiences and relationships are priceless to me.  I can't help but think of the many faces that once were, those iconic dealers who I admired; Granny, Danny and Francis to name only a few.  It is not only important to me to help the next generation, but to educate them about those who forged the way for us to do what we do.  

One of my favorite show memories comes from one of mine and Lisa's first shows.  We were young, strong and ambitious...wink, wink.  We would carry in dressers, cupboards and all kinds of heavy furniture all by ourselves.  On this occasion, Jo Vonnie was watching us.  As we passed her booth, primitive wardrobe in hands...she says..."girls, you're gonna regret that one day!"  Oh how we laughed at that.  However, now we remind each other of her saying this at almost every event we do..."girls, you're gonna regret that...."  (for more reasons that just that...LOL)

I know the "business" has changed, is changing, new ideas, new vendors, new....you choose...but, Audre', Ray and A & R Promotions has been one of the most consistent and continuing factors in getting sellers and buyers together in our area.  With the popularity of Junk Bonanza, Junk Jubilee, Junk Stock...you name one...the antique show of the past has to change to keep up with current trends.  

Many vendors have diversified their wares to accommodate the younger collector and buyers.  In fact, many of Audre's vendors also do those same events.  You will find re purposed, up cycled, Pyrex, baseball cards, primitives, jewelry, collectibles of just about anything you can think of, in addition to, the classic 3/4 sawn oak furniture booths at her shows.   A wide variety.  Just because it's named "antique show" doesn't mean I do anything any different than how I set up and mark for one of my pop ups.  Many of the other vendors have reasonably priced items as well.  

So, with that said, Audre' asked  me to help her with the social media aspect of promoting the sale.  She invited me to her home and we worked on it.  I told her, "if you really want to know the ins and outs, you need someone younger than me!"  While working at her desk, I couldn't help but take a few pictures.  I love her homage to the past shows and vendors.  Also, if Ray wasn't the cutest...he looked like a little gangster in the photo....Audre' looked like an angel.  




  
The 33rd Wausau Antique Sale and Sale https://www.facebook.com/antiqueshowsandsales/ is this weekend at D.C. Everest Sr. High Greenheck Field House.  Go check out the facebook page in the link above for additional information and photos.   


Stop and say Hi to Lisa and I - we will be there with a bit of this and that from here and there.  That is a quote from another old timer...Skip....I've used it over and over.  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  


No comments:

Post a Comment