Thursday, February 15, 2018

Thrifty Thursday - 411 on Pickers

People often ask:  "What do you do for a living?"  

So, for Thrifty Thursday - 411 on.... I will start with Pickers and Picking.  These are my personal definitions of these words and my opinions.  You could ask 50 people their ideals and get 50 different answers.  So, here goes some tips, my 411 for you.

"Picking:"  The art of finding something, someone would like to buy.  

"Picker:"  The individual who digs, sorts, shuffles, hunts for and interacts with those who want to sell.

"Dealer:"  The individual who buys items from a picker to resell at their shop or sales.

I've said this before, but I come from a long line of pickers.  It's just in my blood.  I've grown up watching my grandpa and mom pick, resell and pick again; this is the cycle.  

I've just had a knack for being able to find the best item on a rummage table.  I don't know, they just pop out at me.  I've been lucky, that's true, however "picking" is a job.  A "picker" is, NOW, a profession.  It just makes me laugh, really....not too long ago, "picking" wasn't desirable, and I dare say, "junk dealer" still holds visual connotations for some.   My dad loved Sanford & Sons, oh how he would laugh.   



I can still hear this theme song in my head:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WqazleR3FE

Anyway, back to picking.  Whether you are picking for yourself (watch out, this is how it starts) or picking to make some extra money, first you need to educate yourself.  

1.  Befriend a picker.  Find an older antique dealer to glean from.  This will be your best, resource, especially if you are new to the "business."  Now, picking doesn't just mean antiques.  There are pickers of all kinds of things.  



 2.  Find your niche'.  What is it you want to pick.  It would be best to pick something to pick, that you are interested in or know about.  

3. What are  your expectations?  If you plan to retire on your "pickins" - you need a 9-5!  There is no 401K, health benefits (in fact...health detriments, i.e. mold, dust, rodents) or overtime pay.  It's more of a side hustle.  Maybe and it's a rare maybe, someone finds that one golden ticket item that they can really cash in on, but....people, it's rare.  

4.  Research the market.  What is selling, trending, not only in your area, but in general.  You could sell your items on line.  This is good, because if you see something is popular in CA, you might find it cheap here in WI.  I spend hours looking - trying to figure out - what a customer would want.   If it is July and you are at a rummage sale, don't stop from looking at the Christmas items just because you're hot.  Christmas is a huge selling genre all year. 

5.  Think outside the box.   Look at antique shops during off seasons as many dealers are trying to "make their rent" and often times have wonderful deals.  Same is true of flea markets, antique shows....just because you might "pick" a dealer, doesn't mean you are NOT getting a deal.

So, I know when blog posts get too long, one tends to stop reading, so, with 5 tips, I'll stop.  However, I plan to do more posts in series..."Thrifty Thursday - 411 on....."    




Until the next time, "may your pickin path be full of treasure!"  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

Linked to:
http://www.create-with-joy.com/2018/02/friendship-friday-blog-party-social-media-boost-316.html

No comments:

Post a Comment