Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Tips on Tuesday - Drying

 Tips on Tuesday - Drying 



I have always been one to gather, tie and hang all kinds of "weeds" and flowers.  When my girls were little and I started my adventure into my little cottage business, I was still living in "town."  I would load them up in their carseats and hit the country roads looking for farms and junk for sale along with interesting things in the ditches to pick and dry.  Each time, I would return to my parent's house and ask my them "what is this?"  My dad knew all kinds of things about trees, plants and flowers.   I miss all of that!  Such a blessing and fun time of my life.

So, as I look out the window and see that the snow has now covered the recently melted yard, I thought of my dried bundles and it made me smile.  If for no other reason than to lift your spirits in the middle of winter, dry something.

1.  If you see it, like it, pick it.  Make sure to shake off your bundles before you put them into your vehicle....I've brought home huge spiders.   

2.  After you bring your bundles home and you are unsure of what they are, look them up.  There are plenty of apps now for your phone that you could do "that" before you pick.   As you identify them, tie a tag on the bundle so you can identify later.

3.  It's garden planning time now, order seeds of the varieties you like.  Plan ahead for those you would like to dry.  Herbs are perfect for drying and I use them all winter.  

4.  Find a clean, well ventilated area to dry your bundles.  When you hang them, give enough space between the bundles so that they do not touch each other.  Hang them until dry.

5.  If you are doing herbs, once dried you could remove leaf from stems and place in a labled jar.  I truthfully, leave little bundles hanging in my pantry.  Do they get a bit dusty, I'm sure they do, but I still use them.  I also try to use them, before that.  I have used tissue paper to lightly wrap over top of bundle.  


I also like to use all of something, I don't like to waste things.  I also like to make something out of nothing even free.  I enjoy foraging in nature for these little gifts.  

I hope you think about some of these little tips and try your hand at drying something this year.  If you alread do this, leave a comment on what types of things you dry.  Thanks.  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.



8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tips. My daughters are forever collecting herbs and wildflowers and drying them in my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so nice. Enjoy every minute of it. They grow too fast.

      Delete
  2. I have done it in the past golden rod (loses the color) and assorted things I don't know the name of I do dry hydrangeas every year and I do dry my basil.
    my issue right now is my husband has developed lots of allergies so I may have to hang them in the shed in the early fall and go from there.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hydrangeas are a great one for doing this! I have allergies too, so I get that.

      Delete
  3. I have dried mint that I use for salads. My daughter has one of those plant apps. I dont know a lot about weeds, but know lots about my perennials and annuals from my mom. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the mints for teas. I have used he apps they are pretty handy.

      Delete
  4. I've been a hunter, gatherer, forager and drier since as long as I remember LOL...and I have dried just about everything...including, to my mother's horror, poison sumac. My favorites to dry are my herbs...I don't have a large herb garden, but enough for me,...sage, thyme, oregano, parsley, basil, etc. And fall isn't complete without drying some tansy and bittersweet! ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, we are too much alike! I must have had a "medicine woman" in my past and you too, only yours practiced in Salem...(sad face). Bittersweet is good one too!

      Delete