Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Cultivating my Core - Last Word on "This"

I did a post last week about (2021 word of year) "cultivating" at my core.  Read it here:  Cultivating at my core

First:  I don't type these posts as "fishing for compliments" - however, I had some really nice ones - Thanks!  It really helped me!  

Second:  "This" is something I stuggle with.  I've been told by so many of my "friends" since writing it, that they do too.  So, the posts are for reflecton and growth not only for me, but the reader. 

Third:  Social Media is the devil...ahahah  Last month, at our virtual living estate sale, we did get some awesome prices for our client.  When customers picked up their items, they asked me "how did you come up with your prices?"  I didn't know what to say at first, then this hit me..."well, I'm dancin' with the devil here....I have to find a price that is good for my client, where Lisa and I make a bit of money and the customer still want to buy it....it's a dance."  

"This" what I struggle with is too!  

I came across, which I don't believe in coincidences, a youtube video I accidently clicked on.  It was a young lady, with an accent (Australia?) she was talking about social media issues.  I was intrigued, so I watched.  The jest of it was, she was an influencer on Instagram.  She said that "this" trying to live her "best fantasy life" was making her real life less enjoyable.  Her biggest issues were with the "instastories" and watching what other influencers were doing.  She wasn't happy with her own content, she had to keep being influenced to, buy more, wear less, share way too much of her life and it became addicting, defeating and depressing.  She said she was so addicted to the notification "ding" that she would spend hours watching who was liking her stuff.  She no longer was happy with average likes, she strived for other influencers to like her posts.  Addictions come in all packages. 

She decided to leave that venue of social media and focus on her youtube channel.  Where, she now, turns off notifications and schedules times to look at and respond.  In doing so, she has become more creative and happy.  She is mindful of her time, content and influence to a new audience.  

So, #knowyourowntruth time, I can relate to much of what she said.  A few years back, I ventured out of state to set up at a show, just because some of my favorite "influencers" were setting up too.  I thought of some of them like little celebrities, because in the resell, staging, antique, picking, blogging, writing  world...they are rock stars!  Anyway, this country bumpkin was just niave enough to think "everyone" would want to be my friend (silly me!).  I even did a LIVE where I introduced myself to one, only she wasn't that interested in getting to know me or my audience.  That was how the whole experience was.  Up here, I'm use to lines of customers waiting for me....ahaha....there was no line at my booth....I watched as others had customer's with arm loads of items leaving.  It wasn't until later in the day, a few of these "influencers" came into my booth...and they bought!  I actually had one ask, "Why is this still here?  Your prices are great!"  I said, "I guess I'm not popular." ahahah (my life's story)

O.k. that was the reflection....I had to share the "this" in a way you could see my point of view.  Now on to the important thing, growth....

So, I no longer waste time and money on that show - I do so much better up here were my audience appreciates me and I can share my awesome finds directly with them.  I don't need to keep my "best to impress" others.  

In my previous blog post a reader questioned my "I'm happier not looking at other's posts."  This did not mean blog posts.  Blogging is my meat and potato - good nourishment for mind and soul.  Some of the other social media sites are like junk food.  You crave it, over endulge and then feel like crap after....ahahah...  

I finally, feel, I can let this rest now.  You don't need to comment or leave me a message.  I am mindful of my own growth.  To use my word of the year....it was my 2020 "progression" that motivated me to really "cultivate" my core.  Now I just have to plant good seeds and catch the "weeds" early on.   

If you made it this far, thanks for reading.  My hope would be that if you find yourself struggling with "this" too, you could maybe glean some good from my experiences and use it on your journey of growth.  



Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  


14 comments:

  1. Dear Jacky,

    As we see it, the whole of life is a journey of self-awareness and growth.

    Life can be seen as full of challenges or adventures, it just depends on how one sees them or how one is capable of responding to them. We are all different and it is in this uniqueness that the interest lies. So, what works for one will definitely not for another. We all have to find our own way.

    So, it is important not to be 'influenced' in the sense of trying to be as another person lives, but to reflect and build upon one's own strengths, minimising the weaknesses on the way.

    Years of teaching have taught us that everyone has a talent, it is just a question of finding it, but self-belief is the key. Believe that you have a talent and it will surely emerge. It just may not be as one expects!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the wonderful comment. Sharing your perspective and experience mean alot to me. You do so in such a heartfelt way. I appreciate your words!

      Delete
  2. I have been reading your blog for awhile. Today is the first time I am commenting. Why is that, I do not know. You always have words of wisdom and I learn from your posts. Thanks for taking the time to write.

    Love reading your blog, Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to read (listen). I appreciate your comment. I guess I write about the things that bring me joy, make me feel creative and even my struggles - as we all can probably relate to something. I enjoy sharing and writing. I especially LOVE comments. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. I am so very glad that you decided to expand upon your original post on this topic and give us the detail and back stories. It gives me an entirely different perspective on things. I think I was likely missing parts as I don't really keep up with other social media. I do have FB and do a bit there, but certainly do not keep up with everyone's posts and often go days/weeks without going there. I have an IG account, but NEVER go there and wouldn't even remember my password or username. I really like your analogy to the "meat and potatoes" of blogging and the "junk food" of some other sites. So very fitting and I guess that is why I have always found my way back here to blogging. I know the term "influencer" as one of my friend's sister is one, and it just strikes me as very, very, odd. I think I would be frightened if too many were influenced by me LOL. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Robin, if you did do instgram, you'd be a rock star too. You are so creative in everything you do! What is sad to me is the young people who choose to be an influencer rather than going to school or working at a trade - quick money - like the new drug dealer. I'm glad you clarify this too, as saying it all outloud and writing it out was very healing.

      Delete
  4. Social media is a deep pit that I have fallen into lots of times. But I think the more we figure out what we want and need it is manageable. I have no business but because of my craft of rug hooking I find myself on sites just comparing myself to others and their works. There is nothing that will take the joy out of something than comparison. So that is what my new years goal is to just be happy with myself. Take what I need from something an leave the rest. Always hard to do a work in progress.
    cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you speak words of wisdom here. Thanks. I know with the quarantine and "down time" I'm sure many binged the social media sites, myself included. I don't have the time for that...I have too much I want to actually do (instead of watching others do).

      Delete
  5. Sometimes I think we over think things... I love what I do and I'm happy with myself and with what I put into it and get out of it... Some of the things we don't like doing are very important..But that's a whole other story...What we do should be fun..if it's not try something different...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also LOVE what I do and my customers, I get out of "this" way more than the good Lord knows I deserve. Its nice not to "have" to do something that isn't fun. I'm having a blast finding treasures for people, saving items from the landfill and preserving history. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  6. this happened to us once. We drove 3 1/2 hrs to this one rim show because everyone who was everyone did this show. We made $100 after our gas, hotel and meals. We tried one more time and I staged our booth a bit better with a back drop. We did much better and continued to get better each time...but those who had the fancy walls put up always seemed to sell out. It was a bit frustrating as we sold quality goods just like they did, but we did not have the fancy looking booth. Oh well. We no longer do shows and it does not bother me. I have never done Facebook or any other social media, so nothing to lose on that end. Great post as always! Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Again...we share so many similar stories....I get this more than you know. Thanks for sharing it. I truthfully was wondering if you had a "story" like this as well!

      Delete
  7. I really enjoy your blog posts. I know we've never met, but I feel as though we've become sort of friends. You are always so encouraging and - though I don't always say it - sometimes the comments you leave make my day, give me encouragement when I'm feeling down, or cheer me up.

    On the whole social media thing. I think sometimes it is difficult to get away from the whole being 'liked' thing. Being liked was something I always struggled with as a child and a teen, but as I've grown older I find it matters less to me. I'm not saying it doesn't bother me at all if (say) a photo I'm particularly proud of isn't liked at all, but I try to take a step back. There is a great quote that a photography group I'm in uses - The only photographer I will compare myself to is the one I used to be - and that's what I try to go by.

    This probably doesn't make a lot of sense. I'm bouncing all over the place. Just wanted to say it's been great to watch your growth. It gives me inspiration too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMGoodness, I feel the exact same way. I call you my blogging friend from MI...my husband and daughters know I talk about your being from UK and your photography. I have to steal that line from you, as I love it. Compare myself to the..I use to be...love it! Now I need to live it. I appreciate your faithful following and comments! I enjoy your blog too!

      Delete