Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Counting What Really Counts

Sometimes I catch myself in thought or words and say "that would preach."  I do come from a line of preachers.....often times my blog posts turn into Bible studies.  

I regularly watch several YouTube channels.  Just as I was about to press "skip" this ad, something made me stop and listen.  The ad was for Vrbo Vacations.  This is part of the ad:  

"We count LIKES, calories, hours, minutes, points and scores.  We measure our weight and tally our steps.  Everyday we stare at screens, press buttons and count, but we don't count what really counts.  We don't know how many times we can gather by the ocean or make the best of a rainy day.  How many chances to dance, forgive or break a silence.  Opportunities to pack our bags and embark on an adventure.  Sometimes we might keep counting, but we will always turn back to what matters...."  

I know I spend way too much time focused on things that really don't count.  Our society is so social media driven.  Images and an accounting of things, places, food, vacations and it all, "that", can be disheartening.  Comparing, competing....I hope it's not just me here.....  

This silly little ad, had my thinking about, counting what really counts. 

You know, God cares for us:

"You know I am very upset, you know how much I have cried, surely you have kept an account of all my tears."  Psalm 56:8 ERV

He will fight for us:

"Don't fear....because the Lord God will fight for you."  Deuteronomy 3:22 ERV

He has a plan for us:

"I say this because I know the plans that I have for you"  "I have good plans for you.  I don't plan to hurt you.  I plan to give you hope and a good future."  Jeremiah 29:11 ERV

Yes, we each have our own:  path, stage of life, opportunity, heritage and culture - a wide variety of reasons why we are different.  However, I would gather that, what really counts:  life, love, family, health, our relationships are the same.  

Let's challenge ourselves to focus on what really counts...our blessings!  "Count your many blessings, name them one by one"  "When upon life's billows you are tempest tossed, when you are discouraged, thinking all is lost, Count your many blessings name them one by one and it will surprise you what the Lord hath done."  "When you look at others with their lands and gold, think that Christ has promised you His wealth untold; count your many blessings, money cannot buy, your reward is in heaven, nor your home on high."  

I didn't even remember that verse to that old hymn....how it applies...."count your many blessings...."

"Whoever is wise will remember these things and begin to understand the Lord's faithful in Love."  Psalm 1o7:43 ERV




Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  












1 comment:

  1. it is wonderful that you have such strong faith...the sunflowers are beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete