Thursday, December 14, 2017

Christmas Break

Well, I'm officially on Christmas Break.  I know, I'm self-employed and can take a break whenever I want, but I thought it would make a cute picture of Shannon and I.



This was us yesterday.  We had a snowy day, but we worked anyway.   I went out on a limb this year and advertised for a "summer intern," the response was good, but Shannon was the one who could come the hours I needed.  

I can't help but think of Kathy Marquardt, one of my mentors, when I think of Shannon's and my relationship.  Oh how time and the tables changed.  Even my sister Lynn said to me, "now you're Kathy..."  We did move a lot of inventory this year.  I was just looking at my calendar, I did 4 estate buyouts,  3 estate sales, 11 Theme sales, 5 Pop Up sales, 3 shows, 6 or 7 flea markets and organized and set up at Ringle Harvest Day.  In addition to that, Lisa and I had 4 booths at 3 shops.  I know everyone was saying..."you're sure busy...." well, it has caught up with me.  

I need to take a break from the "mall" type selling - it's not easy to keep up; not only with the booth, but pleasing the shop owner with fresh, new ideas and inventory.  It is demanding.  I'm better when I can sell what I want, where I want.  That's the beauty of self-employment.  We are not leaving because of lack of sales - to the contrary, we are leaving one mall with that mall's best month to date and our individual best months - we wanted to go out with a bang!

Lisa and I are working on a blog post, we hope to have it ready in January.  We have shared so much in these 25 years of junking and selling together.   We were going over all the things and ideas we've tried...I forgot about some them...not to say anything, but we were doing periodical barn sales 25 years ago - one at her place and one here - people forget stuff and new customers don't know it.  Also, there was no internet, instagram, face book or snapchat to brag on either....and it's 'braggin'...I don't like it!  It's all becoming too much!  Any who....

With my Christmas break starting today, I can work on my house.  When you resell, you start Christmas in early November, I've set up numerous displays, trees, etc....I am already tired of it!  I decided I can't stand to dig out my boxes of Christmas stuff!  I also don't have small children or grands yet...so, I really don't have anyone I "have" to do it for.  I was feeling kind of guilty about it, until I saw this on a vintage Christmas Cookies cookbook.....




....right there is very small print..."Your decorations need not be elaborate, for in simplicity the greatest art is expressed."  I LOVE that!  Not only for my lack of Christmas decorating, but in life!  It kind of brought this blog post full circle...I've had a busy year, but stepping back, reflecting, "in simplicity the greatest art is expressed" - that will be Town Hall Trinkets, LLC in 2018!  Watch out world....and no bragging allowed...only sharing.  When you brag it ALL becomes competitive and I don't like competition - I want everyone to do good at what they enjoy doing - 'share it' but, don't 'wear it' out!  Just me.... 

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

No comments:

Post a Comment