Monday, October 30, 2017

Fields of Cotton

While driving through the panhandle of Texas, we noticed the fields and fields of white.  This isn't snow, that's what our fields and fields of white are.  It was cotton - I've never seen a cotton plant or raw cotton before.  So, I convinced Al to take the next exit so I could get a closer look.  It just happened that the truck ahead of us was doing the same and not only that....he was stopping in the field.  So, I jumped out and asked if I could take some pictures of his cotton.  He just nodded and then smiled as I told him we were from Wisconsin and I had never seen this before.  Did you know they bale cotton just like we do our round bales of hay?  I didn't!  He was telling us how they harvest it and that it was a "good" cotton harvest this year.  Texas is one of the top producing states.  Not just the cotton, but the seed and oil come from this very versatile plant.  Here are a few photos.









Did you know it is illegal to grow cotton in some states?  It isn't in Wisconsin - so, now Al and I want to give it a try.  You all know I love fiber...

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

1 comment:

  1. I grew some for the first time this year. It was quite fun. Not a great harvest, but I enjoyed how much the plants bloomed and bloomed and bloomed all summer. I'll get it in earlier next spring.

    ReplyDelete