Friday, September 25, 2026

Farm House Friday - Week 38 Cleaning out Garden

 

We had a stretch of some beautiful days.  I should be getting ready for my big flea market event Ringle Harvest Day because I am so far behind.  The heart wanted to do something different.  I've noticed this lately, my heart is wanting to do .... different things.  Things I've been too busy for in recent years.  My heart was into this, this summer, every morning, out to the wildflower field.  My scooter made a path.  


I had an idea for next year, so Al took out the old lawnmower and started mowing down another path.  


Can't wait until next year's wild flower walk.


I wanted to cut back my flowers, I made it work with the scooter and a laundry basket.  My scooter pushed the basket along.  It wasn't the most efficient way, but I did it in a way I could still do it.  My heart is into finding new ways to do what I love. 


Sleeping bee on a snapdragon.  I only cleaned out the flowers that were done.  I always leave the flower heads for the birds for late fall early winter feedings.  I also like "volunteers" in the spring.  Free flowers.  

Al cut back all the peonies.  They are so big now, that next year I'm going to have to get someone to help Al move my cement pig and holstein calf.  I have an idea for the other side of this, the side that faces the garden.  


As I was cutting things back, I thought some of these things need to be used.  So, I made a found and gathered fall arrangement.  I grabbed a galvanized pail and filled it.  I found a cute bird's nest to add too.  


This is wild, natural and free.  I LOVE it.  It reminded me of when my girls were in car seats and I would drive along all these rural roads and gather all kinds of dried weeds for my craft shows.  I made all kinds of things like this in antique containers over the years.  However, I haven't for many years.  My heart was definitely into this.  I may not be able to do it all, but boy I sure can do it small.  


Two Tuesdays a month, we have ladies Bible study at a coffee shop in Hatley, where my store or office is located.  Al has been dropping me off and I have been using my scooter to go to work after.  My friend, Lisa, took a picture of my driving on the road.  She gave me this idea, to post it, "with the gas prices."  


 It wasn't all play and no work.  We went out in the big pole building and started pulling stuff out.  Truthfully, I made good decisions on tossing, recycling and burning.  I had a picture of the burn stuff, but thought if I post that, someone will say "I'll take it."  I would "take it" too, but I need room.  We saved drawer pulls, drawers and such, so not a total loss.   While digging, sorting, there was an old wallet.  It looked empty, but experience has taught me to look anyway.  Well, folded up in a little pocket of this men's wallet was this $2.  I can not tell you how much money over the years I've found in estate buyouts.  Please, when your loved one dies....don't toss it all with out looking.   

Planning on doing more sorting, digging today.  Al will pull over the items I want to sell at the flea to my studio/old shop area.  I will be washing and making all weekend and into next week.  

What are your plans for the weekend?  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

14 comments:

  1. Love the idea of a wildflower field. Wish I had the land to do that.. Gas is $4.95 here. UGH Glad I dont need to drive to work every day anymore. Have a great weekend! Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy with the wildflowers. Yes, good time to retire. I hope you have a wonderful weekend too!

      Delete
  2. I'm still seeing bees but most, if not all, of the butterflies have moved on. I love arrangements in antique vessels. They have so much more personality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanie I agree. Yes, no butterflies. I saw 1 yesterday, but it might have been a moth.

      Delete
  3. You have been busy, Jacky. Thank you so much for sharing. 😊 I will be doing cleaning and organizing in my apartment over the weekend. I did my laundry yesterday.
    I hope you have a wonder filled weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda.....a wonderful filled....I wonder how I'm going to make it up the steps to my sister-in-laws house for our family reunion today. I have strong nephews that may be able to pick me up in a chair. We will see....not going to lie, I'm anxious about it.

      Delete
  4. We've certainly had some beautiful days of late, haven't we? Perfect fall prelude in my book. But, yes, the "slowing-down" season has definitely begun. The wasps, hornets, bees are out in abundance but they move so languidly that their hovering makes me try to move a bit quicker. Seems like just a couple of weeks ago, I refilled the hummingbird feeders as they were drinking frenziedly getting ready for their big trip. Now those feeders are quiet and need taking down. I love the photo of you going down the road on your scooter. I hope things work out for your wildflower walks next year. I'd so love to come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the hornets...they are crazy! We have those long legged ones all over the back door. You don't even want to go on the deck. Yes, it has been "perfect fall prelude" you are so good with words. Yes, next year, I hope it works and you can come.

      Delete
  5. I love how you are thinking about new ways to enjoy the things you used to even with new challenges. I really want a wildflower garden of some sort. As much as I really enjoy seeing the deer in our garden, I am trying to think about ways to enjoy a garden and them, but I'm not sure they are compatible. Sigh.
    Our gas prices are up to 4.99 a gallon. Sigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The deer don't like Zinnias. However, they love sunflowers. The last few I saved for the birds, The deer ate them just the other night. Yes, gas prices are crazy. Thanks for saying so, as I do try to keep going.

      Delete
  6. we are hunkered down, expecting a nor'easter in this part of new jersey. i guess much of the east coast has prepared. you will find lots of new ways to do things, with a positive "no quit" attitude. i have and only accept help when i really need it. i recently asked at the bank about "new money" i often do for gift giving. they gave me $ 100.00 in brand new 2 dollar bills. i make things with the money, i have been making pizzas...i'll show one soon on my blog that i recently made for my son. this almost dead wild flower look pretty amazing when put in a vase or made into a wreath!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for saying so, I do try to think of new ways. I am able to accept help better now, as now I need it more. I can't wait to see the pizza. My husband would eat pizza every day, he loves it.

      Delete
  7. A wildflower garden is a beautiful idea.
    We visited a nearby town last year.. where a person had his farm. It was a wonderful walk there.. India is hot, so mostly false daisys survived (the view is mostly yellow) but he also managed to find some rare, flowering varieties that made the entire land look like a paraside.. I can't wait to see too, how beautiful it gets for you there.

    Sorry for my english, not my native language.
    But I am happy to see you working on the land..
    We have ours back in our native place (south down the state)
    but I am working on getting one on the outskirts of the city where we live..
    I will take inspiration from yours.. when I plan mine :)
    Thanks for blogging.. Have a wonderful weekend..

    ReplyDelete