Etsy

Saturday, August 29, 2026

Quick Pickle of Garden Goodies

 

Oh these 2 jars make me smile.  I've been craving, briny, spicy, crunchy all summer.  I think what started it, was a jar of olives, garlic, peppers that my husband bought from this big grocery store in Green Bay.  We don't have that store and no one around here carries the brand.  They were so good!  

We have dozens of hot peppers this year and I've been eating them with everything.  So, it hit me, why don't I pickle some with other veggies.  A quick pickle, store in the refrigerator, crunchy, spicy...yes, that's what I'll do.  So, out to the garden for some picking.  








Variety of fresh herbs:  chives, oregano, 2 types basil and 2 types of parsley.  I put garlic and peppercorn in the jars


Added some cherry tomatoes and mixed it all together.  I filled the jars and pressed it down until almost to top. 



The brine is a simple 2 to 1; 2 C vinegar, 1 C water, 2 T sugar and 1 T salt.  Taste it to see if you like it.  I like vinegar.  Bring to a boil for 5 min or so.  Turn off heat let it cool a bit and fill your jars.  Put on a lid, let it cool and store in the refrigerator.  You can eat them in a few hours and they will last 3 months.  

Next up...maybe beets, raw packed like these.  

Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.  

Linked to:  https://beadwright.blogspot.com/2026/08/sunday-in-art-room-sitar.html

16 comments:

  1. Hi dear friend, your vegetables look delicious 😋 How wonderful to preserve them.
    I have never done this before, and I really appreciate you sharing how to do it.
    Thank you so much for sharing. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, super easy. You can add other whole spices too. Mustard seed, allspice - I just didn't have that.

      Delete
  2. I've never been a fan of pickled things really...pickles are ok...and pickled beans are kind of fun, but that's about it. But your jars do look pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. those 2 jars made me smile too!! so fresh and colorful it's going to be great!! this is the way to go when the garden is overflowing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the way to go. Thanks! Last of the cherry tomatoes. I'll miss them.

      Delete
  4. i feel bad that it has taken me so long to visit...my days are different now and i don't have as much time for blogging. i hope normalcy returns soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, that was how I was too. I was laid up with that broken femur and my other disease, IBM. It took all I had to make these 2 jars, but it made me happy too. One day at a time. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. So colorful, you just know it's good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love pickled anything buty husband does not. He doesn't know what he's missing. It looks so delicious.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right! He doesn't know! My husband doesn't like the spice, heat and he doesn't know what he is missing. I will add the spicy brine to thin out homemade salad dressings too - for an extra kick.

      Delete
  7. The colorful jars made me smile knowing you canned them up Jacky. Unfortunately I only like pickled pickles. Hubby Bob would eat these in a New York minute though. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband isn't a fan either. That's ok - I didn't want to share anyway. wink, wink.

      Delete
  8. What a great idea for all the bits of late garden harvest. Sounds like a yummy snack or side dish for any meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was! I am thinking of the beet one and how to make it sweet spicy.

      Delete